Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Summer Reading

In Europe we are welcoming the summer. However, if you are from north of Europe you never know what kind of weather it will be. In southern Europe it is normally sunny and warm, but further north it can more or less be any weather; sunny, rainy, cold, windy, maybe not snow but we have seen hail storms here, one just the other day.

People who don't have too much time to read during the year, usually say that they will read during the holidays. For a Swede a very nice thing is to lie in the hammock, in the shade of a tree with a cold lemonade and read a good book! This is summer. Since Sweden in recent years have seen a lot of detective story writers, this is a popular option among us. Easy enough and a little bit of excitement and guessing on who is the murderer?

I thought it was a good idea to try to select a few books from my TBR shelves and my newly bought or downloaded books. I realised that we are soon half away through the year and I have only read 40 books. Multiplied with two that makes 80 and not enough for coming close to last years 108 books. That means I have to speed up a little. Life has been very busy lately, but I can see that the summer can brings me some moments for loosing myself in the world of books. Better than to try to set a list that I would like to finish, although I am not always too fond of this, since when I decide to read something I always feel like reading something else! Well, that is life I imagine.



Here is a collage of the 16 books I have chosen.


For clarity here are the list of the books in no special order:
  • Ernest Hemingway by Carol Baker
  • The Sun Also Rise by Ernest Hemingway
  • The Empty Family by Colm Toibin
  • The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
  • The Go-Between by L.P. Hartley
  • The Hand That First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell
  • Curry, A Global History by Colleen Taylor Sea
  • The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
  • The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco
  • The Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey
  • The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
  • Requiem in Vienna by J. Sydney Jones
  • The Hired Man by Aminatta Forna
  • Tiger by Tash Aw
  • The Gift of Rain by Tan Twang Eng
  • Norwegian by Night by Derek B. Miller
Then of course there are the books for my challenges. Hopefully some of the books will increase the years in A Century of Books

Historical Fiction Reading Challenge: I am reading Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant for the moment. That is only my third book for the Renaissance package of 10 books. Have to hurry up here! Looking in my TBR pile I could opt for Sofia Magdalena a True Queen about a Danish princess who became queen of Sweden in the 18th century. Another option is Young Werther by von Goethe or Pope Joan by Woolfork Cross.

2014 Monthly Motif Challenge: for June is "A Long Journey" and I have chosen  A Writer's Notebook by Somerset Maugham. In July the motif is "Assassins, Warriors and Rebels" and for August it is "Alternate Reality". Hmm, I have to think about what I can read here. 

I am still only in the beginning of The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clark. This is a thick book, very interesting and I have to try to come further during the summer. 

From my TBR shelves it would be good if I could also read 
  • Äcklet (Las Nausé) by Jean-Paul Sartre
  • It's Not What I Meant by Deborah Tannen
  • A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine
Plus my present book The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton!

Well, a quick overview gives me 27 books, in 2,5 months! Let's keep an open and positive mind and see how far I get! Good luck with your own summer reading - or winter reading for those on other latitudes! Any special books on your lists?

Comments

  1. A hammock in the summertime with good books. Sounds wonderful. We're about to celebrate the winter solstice here and the city is alight with lights through MONA (the large museum) and the winter celebrations in Hobart.
    A bit too cold for a hammock but I can close my eyes and see it. Happy summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of my Australian friends when I wrote this, since I know you are in the middle of winter. However, maybe your winters are not as harsh as ours? You have to look forward to the hammock a little bit later in the year! Have fun with your winter reading. Any special books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I should attempt more challenges with my reading, but I end up just reading whatever falls into my hands and whatever my mood dictates. ;) It's winter where I live, so I'm snuggling up with my books and hot chocolate. I don't mind but omg, bring back my summer! XD
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster