Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

The Bridge of Little Jeremy by Indrajit Garai

"The adventure of a young Parisian artist and his dog. A novel of action and reflection; of fidelity and trust; of resilience, love, and the power of art.

Jeremy's mother is about to go to prison for their debt to the State. He is trying everything within his means to save her, but his options are running out fast. Then Jeremy discovers a treasure under Paris. This discovery may save his mother, but it doesn't come for free. And he has to ride over several obstacles for his plan to work.

Meanwhile, something else is limiting his time ... "

We find Jeremy and his dog Leon at a time when Jeremy does not attend school due to a heart condition. They spend their days wandering around Paris, on Île Saint-Louis where they live. His mother is working and they don't have a lot of money. However, they live in an old house which they own, but it turns out that his mother owns the state for inheritance tax.

Jeremy lives in his own world with Leon, going for walks, befriending people he meets around his daily walk, especially an artist selling Jeremy's painting. Jeremy is a talented painter and he saves the money to help his mother. One day he happens to see a letter from the authorities concerning the unpaid tax. His fantasy starts working and he thinks his mother will have to go to prison. He slowly becomes aware that life has its ups and downs. 

At the same time Jeremy finds an old painting in the cellar. It has a certain kind of magic in it. The motive is a bridge over the Seine, but Jeremy is not able to locate it. Especially, since the bridge is full of buildings. He starts by asking his artist friend who provide him with a few hints. That leads him to an antique dealer, who bought the shop once belonging to his grandfather. It turns out that the painting is rather valuable, but being half destroyed it is impossible to sell. Jeremy decides to take on the restoration of the painting, wanting to sell it to help his mother. 

"The gardener points to a large patch blooming with pink and red roses. But none of those flowers looks as striking as this single one on this mound of compost.

"I like this one more."

"Then you're being fooled by rarity."

"Pardon?"

"Beauty isn't beautiful when it comes in plenty."

We follow Jeremy and Leon around Paris, beautifully described making you see it all in front of you. We get to know his friends, neighbours and other people with which he is interacting. Jeremy and Leon are totally tuned in, understanding each other, sometimes without talking. As Jeremy tries to finish restoring the painting, there are other events involving him, some of them rather dangerous. 

This novel is a bitter sweet tale of a young boy trying to save his family and the world he is used to. From the beginning I had difficulties with the language, finding it rather simple, and going too much into details. Until I realised that the language is Jeremy's. The language and thoughts of a teenager, trying to find his way around. Once there, I found it mesmerising. 

It is a wonderful story,  reflecting on the way life is. The close relationship between Jeremy and Leon is beautifully and emotionally told. I would say this book is a modern day fairy tale. Enjoyable, not only for adults, but very suitable for young people. The story has stayed with me after finishing reading. My thoughts often go back to Jeremy and his reflections. Such a wise guy. 

I received this book by the author for a fair and impartial review. The thought expressed here are my own. 


Comments

  1. Great review! I love that you say the book is a modern fairy tale. That sounds absolutely lovely. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it did seem like a fairy tale. We don't see so many modern ones.

      Delete
  2. It tells me "Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist." though I can see this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marianne, I have a big problem with my web-site. I wanted to update for google analytics and something went terribly wrong. I have contacted the help desk, but who knows when I will get an answer. I am trying to solve it, but have to work on it for a while I am afraid.
      I am also working on my new Wix web-site. If I feel more or less satisfied with the layout I might just change everything. Let's see. Thank you for telling me. It seems that the Home page was lost somehow.

      Delete
    2. So sorry to hear this, Lisbeth. I have had some trouble with some other pages where I couldn't comment but solved that through going to Chrome for those pages.
      Is it possible that you have commented on my pages lately? I had a few anonymus ones and I always worry that the person might not see my answer.

      Delete
    3. I think I managed to comment with my account. Sometimes with Safari it does not work, and I comment without noticing that it is via Anonymous. Could you please check wether the post I just posted, 15 Nov 12.06 is readable and let me know? Thanks.

      Delete
    4. There isn't a single post at that time and all the comments from today are from other people. The last anonymous post I had here: https://momobookblog.blogspot.com/2022/11/mandelstam-ossip-noise-of-time.html
      Maybe I ought to send you the links to all the anonymous posts from the last couple of weeks, there are quite a few. :(

      Delete
    5. Yes, thats me (anonymous) for Mandelstam.

      Delete
    6. I was afraid it was. I will send you more links by e-mail. I am sure there are mostly yours. Might take a couple of days, I'm not well enough to be on the PC too long atm.

      Delete
    7. Thank you Marianne, take your time. I am sorry to hear you are not so well. Hope you will recover. Take care.

      Delete
    8. Thanks, Lisbeth, just a lot of things on top of each other.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler