Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Nonfiction November 2022



Time has come for Nonfiction November. First week is hosted by Katie @ Doing Dewey We start week 1: (Oct 31-Nov 4) with a a few questions concerning our nonfiction reading during the year. 

My Year in Nonfiction

Here is what I have read so far this year: (no specific order). That is 21 NF books out of the 96 books I have read so far. 

Health and Life Style
Chatterjee, Dr Rangan - Feel Better in 5

Antiquity, History and Religion
Gilhus, Ingvild S, Thomassen, Einar - Antikens religioner 
Gardner, Laurence - The Magdalene Legacy

History
Harrison, Dick - Kalmarunionen, En nordisk stormakt föds
Harrison, Dick - Mordet på Gustav III
Blom, Tomas - Dackefejden, Det stora upproret 
Blom, Tomas - Sturemorden, ett blodigt maktspel
Håkansson, Håkan (Ed.) - Tycho Brahe och hans tid
Harrison Lindbergh, Katarina - Nordiska Gudasagor
Bengtsson, Ingvar - Kapet av Skåne
Laws,  Bill - Fifty Plants that Changed the Course of History

Autobiographies
Bergstrand, Finn - Eftertankar
Malmsten, Bodil - Priset på vatten i Finistère

Biographies
Tullberg, Tomas - Sara Lisa von Linné 
Norrhem, Svante - Christina och Carl Piper, en biografi  
Wung-Sung, Jesper - Kvinna sedd bakifrån (Woman Seen From the Back)
Lagercrantz, Olof - Dikten om livet på den andra sidan, En bok om Emanuel Swedenborg

On Writing
Saunders, George - A Swim in a Pond in the Rain
Ivesköld, Monica - Redigera framgångsRIKT
Malmsten, Bodil - Så gör jag, Konsten att skriva

Economy
Skopal, Eric - Hur mycket pengar behöver man egentligen) (How Much Money Do You Really Need?


What was your favourite nonfiction read of the year? 

It is difficult to choose only one, and I have to go for three, all of them about history. 
Kapet av Skåne by Ingvar Bengtsson - how Skåne (Scania) the southern province of Sweden and how it was conquered from the Danes (in the 17th century) who ruled the area for centuries. 

Tycho Brahe och hans tid by Håkan Håkansson (ed.) - Tycho Brahe was a Danish astronomer and one of the most important persons in the scientific world of Europe in the 16th century.  

Christina och Carl Piper, en biografi by Svante Norrhem - Carl Piper was a close adviser to the Swedish king Charles XII, ended up as prisoner of war in Moscow after the fatal loss at Poltava in 1709. He died there in 1716. His wife Christina handled most of their affairs while he was away and as a widow. She was a screwed business woman and bought land and properties, engaged in business and agriculture and became one of the richest persons in Sweden. She ruled like a queen, and maybe more so in her own family. A quite amazing woman. 

If I should add something outside the historical sphere, I would choose Eric Skopal's book about how much money one really needs. It is written following the rather popular trend on how to save money, leave simple and retire early. It is quite interesting and Skopal writes about different ways to save money, need less so you can work less. And of course, have a saving buffert (fonds, shares, obligations or whatever) if you really need in an emergency. 

Do you have a particular topic you’ve been attracted to more this year? 

As usual it is history, but when I checked I see I have ventured into a few other areas. I will be more aware for 2023 and choose nonfiction from other areas as well. 

What nonfiction book have you recommended the most?

Not many of my closes friends read a lot, but I have recommended the economy book, also for my son.  I have also recommended Jesper Wung-Sung's book Woman Seen from the Back. A biography about Ida Ilstedt, wife of Danish painter William Hammershøi.  An amazing story about a woman who was mostly painted seen from the back, which is also a sort of summary of her life. She was the invisible woman who gave her whole life to art. 

What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November? 

To find inspiration from other readers. Reading reviews that engage you and make you want to read different nonfiction from your usual ones.  

A special thank you for the persons hosting this event. 




Comments

  1. I'm glad you're participating too! I'm so very excited for this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie. I am quite excited since I was only going to settle for Nonfiction November, but decided on Novellas and German Lit. I will do as much as I can and that will be ok. It is just nice reading other bloggers participation and get some inspiration.

      Delete
  2. I love reading about other people's nonfiction interests and love the challenge as a whole. Too many books for me to list so I just did a top ten-ish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True LyzzBee, the same for me. So many different interests and being inspired.

      Delete
  3. Wow, 21 non-fiction books so far, I didn't get that many. But I will have to look into some of the ones you mentioned.

    My Non-fiction November Week 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne, sometimes it happens. I am a bit of a mood reader and sometimes I go more for nonfiction than fiction and sometimes vice versa. Anyway, it is a good challenge.

      Delete
    2. We all read what we would like to read next, what kind of mood we're in at the moment, I think. That's why it's so nice to have a huge TBR pile, it's like your own library.

      Delete
    3. True Marianne, I am quite a mood reader. That is why it is so difficult to make a list for a certain month. Maybe I don't feel like reading it now.

      Delete
    4. That doesn't keep me from making a list. LOL

      Delete
  4. Congrats on a great year of nonfiction reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelley Rae, sometimes there are more, sometimes less. It depends on the mood for me.

      Delete
  5. nice list! I have read and enjoyed a lot this book by Saunders. I'm going to check about Plants. I have a few history books on my list too: https://wordsandpeace.com/2022/11/02/nonfiction-november-my-year-2022-in-nonfiction/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy reading nonfiction about history too! Thanks for joining us for Nonfiction November :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DoingDewey for hosting. It is a great challenge and you get so inspired by other people's reading.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing a little about your nonfiction reads this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb, it was more than I expected.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler