Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

The Chatham School Affair by Thomas H. Cook

First of all I want to apologise for, hopefully, temporary problems with the blog. I managed to get the home page working, but it seems that the last post posted will also show up at the top of the labels' pages. I am trying to solve it, but alas, so far no success. Maybe this is an indication that I should look for another provider, and make my own web-site. I am still working on a Wix web-site and might be close to let it go public. If you encounter problems with access, please leave a comment (if possible) what the problem is, or send me an email thecontentreader(at)gmail.com. In the meantime ...

Sometimes you are lucky with your choice of books. While visiting my parents I took another look at the common book cases and found one book I could not resist. I have neither heard of the book, nor the author. The summary of the story caught my attention.

"On a summer day, a young woman alighted from a bus in the small Cape Cod village of Chatham and took up residence in a cottage on the edge of Black Pond's dark waters. She was embarking on a voyage she could not foresee --- one that would bring catastrophe to her, to those she loved, and to the town of Chatham itself. Now, seven decades later, only one living soul knows the answer to the question that irrevocably shattered hearts, a town, and a way of life: What really happened on Black Pond that day?"

The story is told by Henry, now an aging lawyer, who was a teenager at the time. He givs us glimpses of what happened but not chronologically. The story goes back and forth from now to the past, as glimpses of present day life. It is a psychological thriller, very skilfully woven.

The young, beautiful lady from overseas with a shimmer over her past life in Africa joins the school as an art teacher. She lives in an old house by the lake. On the other side of the lake lives a male teacher with his family. As the two teachers become friends, the gossip is live in the villages. But nobody really know what is going on. One day everything comes to a close when an accident happens. Or, was it an accident.

As Henry relives the tragedy of the time, we slowly get an insight into the village life and its people. It is dramatic in a quiet way. We know there is a mystery lingering in the past, but it is only in the very end that we realise the consequences and get to know what really happened.

One of the best books I have read this year. It reminds me a little bit of Into the Water by Paula Hawkins, in its narration of calm and quiet, which does not seem to go along with the dramatic events. It is beautifully written as well. I read somewhere he got a reward for this book. Well deserved. I am now eager to find other books by him. Any of you who have read something by Cook? Please let me know.


Comments

  1. I can see that this story might unfold in a fascinating way. I'm glad you liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, it really did unfold in a way I could not really foresee. As usual you think of different scenarios, but when you still get surprised at the end of the book, it is good.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler