Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

German Literature Month

My first post for German Literature Month hosted by Lizzy’s Literary Life. It is the first time I participate and since I am following another two challenges, I try to combine reading where possible. 

Week 1 – First time for everything - The Sandman by E.T.A. Hoffmann - I really loved this book and Hoffmann's writing. A mystery, dark and spooky tale. The Sandman is a folklore character who is said to throw sand in the eyes of children to help them fall asleep. The protagonist and narrator is Nathanael, most likely suffering from post traumatic stress due to an encounter with the sandman in his childhood. The whole story has a dark, psychological and unreal touch taking us into another world. What is real and what is suggested by our thoughts?

Week 2 – Second Helpings - I rarely re-read books and since I have not read that many novellas. I wanted to read Hesse for some time, so will choose (a novella) Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse - I am still reading this book, and I have a feeling I have already read it. Totally suitable for this the second week in other words. 

Week 3 – Firm Favourites - Rainer Maria Rilke, I will choose one book with his poems. Have not got to this yet. It seems he is Austrian, but I presume it is all right since he wrote in German. 

Week 4 – Something Different  - Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka - already read this for Novellas in November.  For someone like me who do not like insects it was a rather terrifying read. What does Kafka want to say with the novel? Alienation: people who are different are looked down upon? Work - the employer takes out everything they can from you? Family - he worries about the family which he supports. Once the family realises he can not work anymore, they take their act together and start working themselves, and manage very well. Using other people for their own means? 

Comments

  1. Interesting thoughts on the Kafka. As you know, I never could do anything with him, he is so alien to me. And I am not a big fan of insects but I don't dislike them, either, so that is certainly not my reason. Also, I've read other stories by him which I also didn't like.
    Hesse, however, is a great author, he has written some fantastic stuff. So, I am sure you will enjoy it.
    And, as a German, I would totally include the Austrian and Swiss authors in German literary, after all, we do share the language and it's not Germany's literary month, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne, he is not easy, and I don't pretend I know what he is writing about. Sometimes, I just need to challenge myself. Go outside my comfort zone. I am reading Steppenwolf for the moment. I have a feeling I have read it before. It is neither an easy read, and I am not sure I am over enthusiastic about it.

      Delete
    2. I totally understand and I also like to go way beyond my comfort zone but he is just too weird for me.
      Maybe Steppenwolf is not for you as Kafka is not for me. Have you read any other books by Hesse?

      Delete
    3. Marianne, no I have not. I have a feeling I have already read Steppenwolf. It seems it did not give me an everlasting impression. Anyway, I will finalise it. After that I will try Siddharta which seems to be a favourite of many people. Maybe you can tell me what Steppenwolf is about, more than a look at society and realise that it is not worth living in. I probably have to go a little bit deeper inside.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to read (or perhaps reread...not sure) Steppenwolf. And Metamorphosis is one of my favorites. I first read it in high school. It's perfect for a high school student.

    I am envious of your participation in Novellas in November. I resolve to participate next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I don't think I can say any of them are my favourites, but definitely interesting reads.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler