Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

This novel came highly recommended by many of you, so when I found it at the library I grabbed it at once. I was slightly uneasy about the story line, but must admit I was totally drawn into Evelyn Hugo's story. It is told through a young, unknown journalist, Monique Grant, who is chosen by Evelyn herself to write the drama of her life. Monique visits Evelyn in her luxury apartment and wonders why she was chosen. A young journalist without reputation. And why does Evelyn, who is known to be a reclusive person, all of a sudden wants to tell it all?

Evelyn reveals all the nitty, gritty details of Hollywood life. It could have become a rather banal story, but Jenkins Reid keeps it well within grip. As we follow Evelyn from her poor and abusive childhood, through her first contract in Hollywood and on to her first husband, we are with her all the way. We suffer with her, we are happy with her and wants all to be well. For each husband new details are surfacing and by the time we have reached the seventh, we are pretty much in the picture. Or are we? 

Sometimes you read a book and you are just waiting to see how the author will end the book. This time you read and you think the ending will come after the seventh husband. It does, but then, the author surprises you, maybe laughs at you, if we believe this is all there is.There is more to come, and how well it is intertwined in the overall story.

I just loved the book. A little bit slow in the beginning, but as you read on it is difficult to put down. The characters surrounding Evelyn are well developed. You even have seven very different husbands to get to know, love or dislike, and her very few real friends. They are all carefully modelled into the world of Evelyn Hugo. I even shed a tear here and there, it is that kind of story.

Monique Grant gets a space as well. Her thoughts when her young self compares herself to the young Evelyn. The wise things Evelyn says, how she sees relationships, be it family, husbands or friends. It make Monique think of herself and the people surrounding her. Can she learn something from Evelyn? 

One of the best reads this year. There are several other books to enjoy by this author. I have read reviews of Evidence of the Affair, so it might be something for me in the future. Have you read Evelyn Hugo or anything else by Jenkins Reid?


Comments

  1. Great review, so glad it worked for you. I personally tend to flee when I see the words Hollywood life, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma. I agree with you, when Hollywood is included I don't really jump on the book. This is totally different though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster