Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

My favourite books this year


I have so far read  87 books this year. Here are ten of my very favourite ones, without any special order, except the first one with is my absolute favourite.  

Killing Commendatore by Haruki Murakami

"In Killing Commendatore, a thirty-something portrait painter in Tokyo is abandoned by his wife and finds himself holed up in the mountain home of a famous artist, Tomohiko Amada. When he discovers a previously unseen painting in the attic, he unintentionally opens a circle of mysterious circumstances. To close it, he must complete a journey that involves a mysterious ringing bell, a two-foot-high physical manifestation of an Idea, a dapper businessman who lives across the valley, a precocious thirteen-year-old girl, a Nazi assassination attempt during World War II in Vienna, a pit in the woods behind the artist’s home, and an underworld haunted by Double Metaphors. A tour de force of love and loneliness, war and art—as well as a loving homage to The Great Gatsby—Killing Commendatore is a stunning work of imagination from one of our greatest writers."

I really loved this novel, but found it difficult to review. So much magical realism where the real world meets another world. What is real and what is not? That is the big question.

Two novels of historical fiction by Linda Lappin is on the list. Loving Modigliani: The After Life of Jeanne Hébuterne and Katherine's Wish (about Katherine Mansfield). Insightful and beautiful written accounts of two women. 

Two novels also from Lucy Foley. This time thriller/mystery tales of murder among old friends. The Hunting Party and The Guest List

One biography; about one of our great, female writers Selma Lagerlöf. A thorough account of her life by Anna-Karin Palm, Jag vill sätta världen i rörelse.

One classic from Pär Lagerkvist, Barabbas. A fascinating tale about the man who was set free in order to prosecute Jesus. 

A new historical, detective kind of fiction is The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner. Two timelines, two stories and an insight into London at the end of the 18th century.

To finish off this list I have two Nordic writers. The Son of the Thunder God by Arto Paasilinna (Finland) and Löpa varg by Kerstin Ekman (Sweden). The first one a somewhat different tale of the son of a God who is sent to try to convert people on earth. The second one about a hunter who, with age, takes a look at his life, his relationship with nature, animals, especially the wolfs and the people around him. 

Comments

  1. I really wanna read The Lost Apothecary. Hopefully in 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a real surprise for me. The first book by Lagerkvist I have read. I have also read The Sybil, which was good as well.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, wrong link.
      My favourite books 2021 are in my Statistics.

      Delete
    3. I don't know what happened to my post. I know I made a mistake and wanted to delete it and then put a new comment in.

      Anyway, looks like you could read it anyway, even though we can't. I think I said that I have "Barrabas" on my TBR pile.

      Thanks for visiting my TTT this week.

      Delete
  3. I still have Barrabas on my TBR list but that is the only title I recognize. Oh, to have more time to read!

    My favourite books 2021 are in my Statistics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the time being there is more time to read. Not so much else to do, although I have a few other projects that take time. To read a good book, beats a lot of other chores for sure.
      Barabbas is really god, and not too long.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely set of books - I hope you have as good reads this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do hope. Having lately read so many recommendations of best books from 2021, I am sure I will most likely beat this year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler