Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Summer reading continuing ...

 I have finished another two books from the pile I got from my parent's house, which I wrote about under Just checking in ... The first three books I did a very short review on in Summer reading. The next two books are: 

The Storrington Papers by Dorothy Eden 

I used to read a lot of Dorothy Eden when I was younger, and I know remember how I loved her books. Even reading her again so many years later was a pleasure. 

"For Sarah Goodwill, still reeling in the aftershock of a disastrous marriage, the position of secretary-ghostwriter to Major Charles Storrington seems the ideal opportunity to exorcise a few demons of her own. Sarah will help Major Storrington, confined to a wheelchair by the tank accident that finished a promising military career, to research and write the family history of the Storringtons, an armaments dynasty. She will also serve as governess to his small son."

Through old documents and a diary Sarah is taken back to the beginning of the century and the family that then lived in the mansion of Maidenshall. She quickly discovers that past happenings are coinciding with her own position in the family. Then there is the famous governess, not to talk about the old nurse to Major Charles Storrington. Now in her nineties, she seems absentminded, but who is she really? Keeps you guessing to the very end. A wonderful summer's day reading. 


The Son of the Thunder God by Arto Paasilinna

This is my first book by Arto Paasilinna, and it teases for more. 

"The Finnish people clearly no longer believe in their own God. This is the conclusion drawn by a crisis meeting consisting of pagan deities. That’s when Ukko, the supreme god, decides to intervene. He sends his son, Rutja, to earth in order to convert Finland’s people back to their true religion.

But Rutja needs a disguise, otherwise the Finnish authorities might just step in. He swaps places with Sampsa Ronkainen, an easy-going Helsinki antiques dealer and a true believer. Next, as if on cue, the beautiful Helinä arrives to audit Ronkainen‘s accounts. Rutja secures his first disciple. From here on out, things happen at breakneck speed."

This is a hilarious take on the Messias theme. What happens in the modern world when a new Messias is sent to earth to convince people to believe in him. The obstacles Rutja encounters tell a lot about how our society works today. It is fun, it is food for thought and gives a whole new dimension on the world we live in, our society and people living today. A wonderful book. 


Comments

  1. Those sound interesting. Arto Paasilinna has a number of books translated to English, but I think not that one. I'm not sure how a satiric book about a returning messiah would be viewed by many Americans.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, you might be right. Maybe if you are very religious it would also be difficult to read this book. But Paasilinna did treat the whole matter with the utmost respect. It was really a different book.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler