Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

New books coming my way

On the way back from our trip to the north of Sweden, Finland and Norway, we passed by my parents again. The common book shelves are standing outside the guest flat so I took the opportunity to go through it one more time. I found seven books in June as I told you about in the post Just checking in.... They have already been read and I was quite pleased with my choose and enjoyed the books.

Another look generated another five books, and they are:

Rose Tremain - Restoration - It was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 1989, as well as being the Sunday Express Book of the Year. In 1995 it was made into a film with Robert Downey Jr., Sam Neill, David Thewlis, Polly Walker and Meg Ryan.

"Robert Merivel, son of a glove maker and an aspiring physician, finds his fortunes transformed when he is given a position at the court of King Charles II. Merivel slips easily into a life of luxury and idleness, enthusiastically enjoying the women and wine of the vibrant Restoration age. But when he’s called on to serve the king in an unusual role, he transgresses the one law that he is forbidden to break and is brutally cast out from his newfound paradise. Thus begins Merivel’s journey to self-knowledge, which will take him down into the lowest depths of seventeenth-century society." 

Victoria Holt - Menfreya in the Morning - Used to read Victoria Holt when I was younger, so interesting to read her again. 

"For Harriet Delvaney, the great house of Menfreya, standing like a fortress on the Cornish coast, had always been a citadel of happiness and high spirits. Not until she herself came to Menfreya as a bride did Harriet discover the secret family legend of infidelity, jealousy and murder. And not until the legend seemed to come dangerously to life did Harriet begin to believe the old story that when the tower clock of Menfreya stopped, someone was about to die . . ."

Liane Moriarty - The Husband's Secret - Have not read anything by her but liked the TV-series Big Little Lies. 

"Imagine that your husband wrote you a letter, to be opened after his death. Imagine, too, that the letter contains his deepest, darkest secret—something with the potential to destroy not just the life you built together, but the lives of others as well. Imagine, then, that you stumble across that letter while your husband is still very much alive. . . .

Cecilia Fitzpatrick has achieved it all—she’s an incredibly successful businesswoman, a pillar of her small community, and a devoted wife and mother. Her life is as orderly and spotless as her home. But that letter is about to change everything, and not just for her: Rachel and Tess barely know Cecilia—or each other—but they too are about to feel the earth-shattering repercussions of her husband’s secret.

Acclaimed author Liane Moriarty has written a gripping, thought-provoking novel about how well it is really possible to know our spouses—and, ultimately, ourselves."

Arnaldur Indridason - The Draining Lake - Always interested in Indridason's books. One of my favourite thriller writer. 

"Following an earthquake, the water level of an Icelandic lake suddenly falls, revealing a skeleton. Inspector Erlendur's investigation takes him back to the Cold War era, when bright, left-wing students in Iceland were sent to study in the "heavenly state" of Communist East Germany. Teeming with spies and informants, though, their "heavenly state" becomes a nightmare of betrayal and murder. Brilliantly weaving international espionage and a chilling cold case investigation, The Draining Lake is Arnaldur Indridason at his best."

Karin Fossum - Calling Out For You - Recently read her Bad Intensions. Her books are about things happening to normal people. They are caught up by something and have to find a way out of the situation. 

"Gunder Jomann thinks his life has been made complete when he returns from a trip to India a married man. But on the day his bride arrives in Norway she vanishes. Then the town is shocked by the news of an Indian woman found bludgeoned to death in a nearby meadow.

Inspector Sejer and his colleague Skarre head the murder inquiry, planting seeds of suspicion in a community which has always believed itself to be peaceful and safe."

I have already read Indridason, can't help throwing myself into his books. Excellent book, one of his best I think. I like his historical background stories, and this was especially exciting and interesting. 

Comments

  1. I think Restoration and the Karin Fossum (I really like her) are my favorites on this batch! They sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, those will be my first choices too. Although, Indridason always comes first.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I used to read Victoria Holt as a teenager, that's taken me back! And I really enjoyed Indriðason's Reykjavik Nights series: having absorbed the sagas as a late teen, I will accept more violence in my Icelandic reading than in other books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for many Victoria Holt is an author that was read by young people. Maybe because there is a mixture of romance and history, provided in an easy going way. I still think her writing is classical and it stands time. I have now read it and a review till come soon.
      Indriðason is a really good read, and this has become one of my favourites. I really enjoy his historical background stories. We might accept more violence because we think the Icelandic nature is more wild and harsh and it makes for more violence.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler