Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Fifty Plants that Changed the Course of History by Bill Laws - The Onion

This is a book I bought at a museum shop. I found it interesting to see which plants have made an impact on history and man. It is not a book to read from beginning to end so I take a plant at the time. I will make this a series which will be posted on Mondays. Don't worry, I will not mention all the plants, but some that are common and interesting. The first one is about the onion, Allium copa. 


Origin: Uncertain, probably Southwest Asia

Type: bulbous plant

Height: 30 cm or more


Edible: Yes

Medical: Yes

Merchandise: Yes

Technical: No

When you cut an onion, usually the tears start coming. It is due to a sulfur-containing substance which is released. It has the same   effects as pepper spray.  Research has been done to establish whether onion tears are the same as the tears you apply to grief? Charles Darwin determined that tears of grief did not differ from those caused by onions.  However, it turned out that Darwin was wrong. The American biochemist William Frey discovered that while all tears are composed of water, mucus and salt, tears of grief also contain proteins. This suggests that when a person cries, the body gets rid of stress-related chemicals. It is therefore useful to shed real tears. Maybe that is why I so easily cry when I read a sad book or is watching a sad movie?

Its origin is thought to be Southeast Asia around 5.000 years ago, although it is difficult to distinguish its exact origin. It is one of the world's oldest vegetables, together with peas, sallad and leek.

During roman and greek times it was a basic food product. Both the onion and garlic, Allium sativum, have a tradition of mysterious characteristics. If garlic could keep vampires away, the onion, if it was carried on the left side, keep diseases at bay. To burn an onion was a magic potion against disasters and to dream about them meant luck. If you wanted to know who your future beloved would be, you should put an onion under the pillow on 20 December. 

However that is, the onion is an important ingredient in many foods today. 



Comments

  1. The aroma of onions sautéing is one my favourite smells and I love their flower heads just before they bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onions are also a favourite of mine. Enjoy the smell when frying as well. They are so tasty so make a spice to anything you cook.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is. One does not alway know where plants come from, what they are used for and how they came to us. At least I don't.

      Delete
  3. How interesting. I must see whether there is a translation into a language I understand better than Swedish. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne, it is a very interesting book. One can read about a plant at the time. It is an original English book: Fifty Plants that Changed the Course of History by Bill Laws . I found it in a museum shop. I have written a few posts about the various plants. Here is one: https://thecontentreader.blogspot.com/2021/08/fifty-plants-that-changed-course-of.html

      Delete
    2. I know. I looked for it. And it's also available in German which would make a nice present for some people.
      The link you gave me is for this one but that's alright, this is a nice post.

      Delete
    3. I think so, too. I will definitely go and get it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler