Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Bookmarks

It was quite a while ago since I posted a new bookmark. Finally, I got hold of a beautiful one when we visited the Gripsholm Castle in Sweden in the beginning of June. The castle is situated in Mariefred, about 60 km west of Stockholm. It was built by Gustav Vasa (the first king of the Vasa dynasty) between 1537 and 1545 and was to be served as one of the main residences of the royal house. The times were worried and it was used both as a safe retreat for the royal children, during the Dacke revolt and as a prison.

The oldest son of Gustav Vasa, Erik XIV imprisoned his brother John and his wife Catherine Jagiellon in the castle. Thus happened that their son Sigismund, later to be the King of Poland and Sweden, was born there in 1566. When John deposed of his brother Erik XIV, Gripsholm was one of the castles where he was kept prisoner from 1571 until 1573. The brothers, half brothers, were not the best of friends.

During the coming centuries the castle was used by the royal family at various occasions. Gustav III renovated to be used by his consort Sophia Magdalena. Since he was a fan of everything French he installed a theatre in the castle. A beautiful place even today. Gustav IV Adolf was dethroned in 1809 by a coup, and he and his family were imprisoned here, and here is where he signed his abdication. Not necessarily voluntarily. And then came Jean Baptiste Bernadotte who was elected to be the new Swedish king. He was the first in the Bernadotte dynasty which is still on the throne in Sweden today. 

From 1822 the castle was used to host the National Portrait Gallery. During the centuries several restorations and renovations have taken place, some very controversial. Now it is a museum, open to the public. It is hosting a very interesting portrait gallery, quite different from what you usually see in museums like this. It is one of the oldest portrait collections in the world, and you see not only Swedish nobleman, kings and queens, but also from around Europe and the world. There was a very interesting picture of Turkish sultans of I kind I have never seen before. Very interesting. 

It is beautifully situated by the Mälaren lake, and walking in the park is a treat. The museum shop is very nicely situated at the entrance. Could not resist the beautiful bookmark. Sorry for the bad photo, but the light reflected in the silver like frame. 




Comments

  1. That's really beautiful, Lisbeth. And the history is fascinating, something of which I didn't know. What a wonderful reminder of your visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. I think one of the most beautiful bookmark I ever found. I hope I dare using it. I find it superb to buy a bookmark. You can use it, it does not take any space, weighs nothing and gives you a nice reminder of your visit.
      It has an interesting history and as you know, I love the old castles and their history.

      Delete
  2. Bookmarks and scarves! That's what I buy when travelling, you can never have too many of either of them, and every time you use them or wear them, they remind you of the holiday.
    This bookmark is particularly stunning - what a great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course. Scarves would be another item easy to carry. I love scarves on others and think they look so stunning. When they come around my neck, they look like something dug out of a hole. They don't seem to agree with me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler