Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Book Beginnings on Fridays and The Friday 56

 


This week I have ventured back to an old classic. Maybe being influenced by the latest challenge I have joined; Back to the Classics. It is George Sand's A Winter in Mallorca. George Sand and her lover Fredrick Chopin visited Mallorca during the winter of 1838/39. They stayed in Palma and in the monastery in the picturesque village of Valldemossa. Still today you can visit the apartment they stayed in, although it is not exactly the same rooms and the same furniture. But it is a beautiful place. Unlike most people who visit Mallorca, George Sand was not over-enthusiastic about the place and the people. 


Book Beginnings on Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader

This quote is from the 4th paragraph of Chapter One. 

"Without quite the same claims to immortality as Jean-Jacques and in search for something that I could achieve, I thought that I might perhaps become as famous as the two Englishmen in the valley of Chamounix and claim the honour of having discovered Mallorca. "



The Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice

"Here quite simply is the theme of my book and why I bothered to write it, when it was hardly a pleasant task, and as I promised myself, at the beginning, to keep my personal impressions to myself as much as possible, it now seems to me that this omission would be an act of cowardice and I withdraw it."


Comments

  1. This would be hard for me to read, as most classics are. Hope you enjoy it! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I read it some years ago when I was in Mallorca. It is not that hard, and more a non-fiction tale.

      Delete
  2. George Sand was quite a rebellious character during her time. Does that come through in the novel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not say so. However, from what I remember, I read the book many years ago, she is quite frank about the island and its people, and not always in a good way. The nature was what pleased her the most.

      Delete
  3. I love it when a really good writer lets us have a peek into their life. My Friday Quotes from The Blind Assassin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is something else than her other novels. Amazingly, this might be the one that best survived of her entire work.

      Delete
  4. I don't think I have heard of this one although I am familiar with the author's name at least. That isn't too surprising though given how many classics are out there. It sounds really interesting and I'd be open to giving it a try! Thank you for sharing! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read anything else by her, but know the genre she wrote in. This is something totally different, a nonfiction recount of their time in Mallorca. It was not entirely a pleasant stay it seems.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler