Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Back to the Classics Challenge 2021



I did say in a recent post I will not enrol in too many challenges. My main aim for 2021 is to be firm on lowering the number of unread books on my shelves. They amount to around 180 as I write this. It would be perfect to reach down to 100 at the end of next year. So, I choose only challenges that will help me in my endeavour. I did not think I have so many classics on my shelves, but checking them I found 18! Well, well, should be enough for this challenge, if I can fit them in. Anyway, I am interested in reading more Classics, so this challenge will be a suitable complement to my list from The Classic Club.

For eight years now Karen at Books and Chocolate has been hosting the Back to the Classics Challenge. Here is my preliminary list (might be changed depending on the situation). Scroll down below to find the rules for the challenge.

Without further ado, here are the categories for 2021: 

1. A 19th-century classic: any book first published from 1800 to 1899 - The Red and the Black by Stendhal (1830)

2. A 20th-century classic: any book first published from 1900 to 1971. All books must have been published at least 50 years ago; the only exceptions are books which were written by 1971 and posthumously published - The Moon and Sixpence by Somerset Maugham (1919)

3. A classic by a woman author - Katherine by Anya Seton (1954)

4. A classic in translation, meaning any book first published in a language that is not your primary language. You may read it in translation or in its original language if you prefer - Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (1878) (Russian will read in English). 

5. A classic by BIPOC author; that is, a non-white author - The Prophet by Khalil Gibran (1923)

6. A classic by a new-to-you author, i.e., an author whose work you have never read - Dr Zhivago by Boris Pasternak (1957)

7. New-to-you classic by a favourite author -- a new book by an author whose works you have already read -  Sandition by Jane Austen (1817)

8. A classic about an animal, or with an animal in the title. The animal can be real or metaphorical. (i.e., To Kill a Mockingbird) - Animal Farm by George Orwell (1945)

9. A children's classic - Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (1868)

10. A humorous or satirical classic - Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (1889)

11. A travel or adventure classic (fiction or non-fiction). It can be a travelogue or a classic in which the main character travels or has an adventure -  The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino (1957)

12. A classic play. Plays will only count in this category - The Importance of Being Ernest by Oscar Wilde (1895)

That is my list. Seven of them I have on my shelves, one on my iPad and the rest I will either borrow from the library or buy as an e-book. 


                                                                        *********

Here are the rules for the challenge.  Please go to her website for further information. 

A year-long challenge in which participants are encouraged to finally read the classics they've always meant to read -- or just recently discovered. At the end of the year, one lucky winner will receive a prize $30 (US) in books from the bookstore of their choice. The rules and prize are the same as last year, only the categories have changed. This year, I've tried to come up with some fun categories -- I think we could all use as many fun and relaxing reads as possible!

  • Complete six categories, and you'll get one entry in the drawing; 
  • Complete nine categories, and you'll get two entries in the drawing; 
  • Complete all twelve categories, and you'll get three entries in the drawing

So -- I hope everyone likes the categories, I tried to make them fun and as light as possible for next year. And of course, you do NOT have to read 12 books to qualify for the drawing! The rest of the rules also remain the same.

THE RULES: 

All books must have been written at least 50 years ago to qualify; therefore, books must have been published no later than 1971 for this challenge. The only exceptions to this rule are books which published posthumously but written before 1971. Recent translations of classic novels are acceptable. 

All books must be read from January 1 through December 31, 2021. Books started before January 1 do not qualify. All reviews must be linked to this challenge by 11:59 p.m. on January 1, 2022. I will post links the first week of January for each category, which will be featured on a sidebar of this blog for convenience through the entire year. (The link for the final wrap-up will be posted towards the end of the year, to avoid confusion). 

The deadline to sign up for the challenge is March 31, 2021. After that, I'll close the link and you'll have to wait until next year's challenge. Please include a link to your actual sign-up post, not your blog URL/home page. Make sure you sign up in the below, not the comments section. If I do not see your name in the sign-ups, you are not eligible. If you've made a mistake with your link, just add a new one and let me know in the comments. It's no trouble for me to delete an incorrect link. 

Books may NOT cross over within this challenge -- that is, you may not count the same book multiple times within this challenge. You MUST read a different book for each category in this challenge, or it doesn't count. 

Participants must post a wrap-up and link it to the challenge, and it must include links to all the books they've read for this challenge, specifying which books for each challenge. If I cannot confirm which books you've read for each challenge, I will not enter your name into the drawing. It is fine to rearrange books for the challenge since many books can fit multiple categories -- just let me know in the final wrap-up! 

The wrap-up post MUST include contact information so that I can contact the winner privately before announcing the winner on this blog. If your blog doesn't have a link, or if you have a Goodreads account, let me know in the comments of the wrap-up post. If I cannot contact you, I cannot award you the prize!

The winner will be announced on this blog the first week of January 2021. All qualifying participants will receive one or more entries, depending upon the number of categories they complete as stated above. One winner will be randomly selected from all qualifying entries. I will contact the winner privately and award the prize before posting on the blog. 

The winner will receive a gift certificate in the amount of $30 (US) from Amazon.com (US) OR $30 in books from The Book Depository. Winners must live in a country that receives a shipment from one of these online retailers. To check if your country receives deliveries from The Book Depository, click here. 

                                                                            *******

There you go! I hope some of the books from my Classic Club list will fit in here somehow. What about you? Interested?



Comments

  1. So glad you are joining this challenge.
    I had difficulty with challenges this year
    ...b/c of the pandemic. I could not focus.
    Now is the time to look forward and reducing TBR is a great
    goal. I've read 6 of your 12 and found Stendhal, Tolstoy and Pasternak my favorites! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. The pandemic seems to affect us all. Although much more time on our hands, the focus is missing. I hope to focus more on my unread books next year. Happy to hear that Stendhal is a favourite. I have heard so much about the book, but am a little bit scared to start it. A thick book with very small letters. I might have to go for an ebook version. Russian authors are a favourite for me as well.

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh, enjoy Oscar Wilde, You may want to have him follow 1984, because that one is a grim book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oscar Wilde is always a treat. I have read 1984 before, and am looking forward to Animal Farm this time around.

      Delete
  3. You've got some good ones on there! Like NancyElin, I've read half of your list--I love Oscar Wilde. I also have The Moon & Sixpence hanging out on my TBR list. I'll be interested to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to hear that I seem to have chosen very good classics. Should make it easier to finish the challenge. Maugham has been on my list to read for a long time. He seems to have written so many good books. Looking forward to check him out.

      Delete
  4. Such good list. Anna Karenina was my first Russian classic and I loved it. I hope you do, too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear. I have seem numerous film versions and thought that I should really read it once.

      Delete
  5. You know....there's an Unread Bookshelves Challenge out there via theunreadshelf.com --- if you need help reading down those unreads!!! LOL!

    Anyway, I was just looking at your list and I got excited when I saw Anna Karenina. It's one of my favorites. And Dr. Zhivago, too. Both of them are full of political and philosophical dissertations -- interesting ones. Little Women is excellent, Animal Farm is humorous, and The Importance of Being Ernest was entertaining, too. I also have Sanditon on my list for Women's Author, and I have Of Human Bondage by Somerset as my new to me author.

    Enjoy your picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip om the unread shelf, will certainly join.
      Thank you also for being enthusiastic about the books I have chosen. It helps when others like the books. I was actually quite pleased with the variety of books I choose. Looking forward to this challenge and hope I will be able to read all 12 books.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. And I feel the same way when other bloggers give a thumbs up, although I know we are all different and may experience the same book completely opposite.

      Delete
    3. I have entered the challenge now, and am looking forward to more read books from my shelves.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for visiting my Classic Challenge 2021 list earlier. Yours is also very interesting. I have read a few of them (1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12). All great books. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Good to hear. Will help me on the way.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure you'll manage all by yourself but it will be great to be able to talk to someone about them. Happy Reading!

      Delete
    3. That is the great thing about the blogs. It also inspires me when I know I can share my thoughts with likeminded people.

      Delete
    4. I really miss my former international real life book club but I have found some wonderful bloggers and there is always someone who has read the same book. So great.

      Delete
    5. Indeed. The main thing is to be able to discuss the books, and zoom is better than nothing.

      Delete
  7. My favourite on your list is Three Men in A Boat. It's a wonderful read, especially if you want a laugh! Good luck with the challenge and all the best in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think I have read it once. It was very popular when I was young. But, it is a classic humorous book so looking forward to a second glance.

      Delete
  8. Great choices. I love Jerome, Alcott, Wilde, and especially Anna Karenina. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three Men in a Boat was so fun! I don't usually read humorous books and it caught me by surprise how silly and entertaining it was! Little Women is one of my top favorite books. I hope you enjoy both!

    Here is my Back to Classics list, if interested!
    https://elle-alice.blogspot.com/2021/01/back-to-classics-2021-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read it many, many years ago, but only remember that they were going down a river by boat. I am looking forward reading it again. I am sure I will view it differently this time around.
      You have an interesting list of books. I leave a comment on your website.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler