Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Nonfiction November - Week 1

 


Nonfiction November has started. Leann@Shelf Aware is guiding us through the first week. The aim is to look at what you have already have read this year, choose your favourite and recommend to others. 

What was your favourite nonfiction read of the year? 

I have read 23 nonfiction books so far. I think that is more than I usually read. Most of them are about history, some biographies and some reflection books. I will not mention all of them here, just a few of my favourites.




The Pre-Raphaelite Sisterhood by Jan Marsh about the women who surrounded the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. Very interesting to see the relationships from the women's point of view, and how it affected their lives. 




The Tigress of Forli (Renaissance Italy's most courageous and notorious countess, Caterina Riario Sforza de' Medici) by Elizabeth Lev. An interesting story of an extraordinary woman surviving politics, intrigues, relationships, plagues, war and much more during the end of the 15th century. Her courage and determination never abandoned her. There is an interesting account of how she is trying to protect her people from the plague. Being in a pandemic where we have all learned a lot about these kinds of things, it is amazing to see how well she knew what to do. The paragraph is quoted in my review under the link. 




Laterna Magica by Ingmar Bergman. A surprisingly interesting account on his life and deeds. A talented man, ideas not always understood by others and a creative vein that took him to world fame.  



Ostend by Volker Weidemann is about a gathering of authors, journalists and creative people in Ostende in 1936. Many of them Jews who felt the tightening grip of the situation in Europe. Mostly it is about Stefan Zweig and Joseph Roth. It is a gripping, but also a sad account of the present time and the prospects for the future.  



Familjen Mann (Die Manns, The Mann Family) by Tilmann Lahme is a biography about Thomas Mann and his family. The family is somewhat dysfunctional and the family's dynamic very strange. As a reviewer from the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung states: "Each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way, says Tolstoy. One should read this book to understand the meaning of it." I can only agree. 

You will find the titles of the others that I have read under Read 2020. Nonfiction books have NF after the title. 

Do you have a particular topic you’ve been attracted to more this year? 

As always my main interest is history, also this year. I have a couple of books on evolution and would like to know more about that. Biographies are also a big interest of mine. In my introduction to Nonfiction November, I choose five subjects: History, Evolution, Literature, Life and Nature. Well, I guess that about covers most subjects?

What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? 

I think I recommend all books by Simon Sebag Montefiore. He is a British historian and author and writes fantastic books. Well researched and are read like a thrilling story. A warning though, they are usually very thick. For those interested in Russian history I can recommend:

Catherine the Great and Potemkin (2001) 
Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar (2003)

Still have two to read on my shelves: 
Jerusalem: The Biography (2011)
Sashenka (2008) (Fiction)


What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November?  

I find it interesting to see what other nonfiction readers are interested in. I also hope and am sure I will, be inspired to read something I usually don't read. 

Reading this week

So far I have read two nonfiction books. The Gospel of Eels and an educational book about literature.  I am currently reading Näktergalen (The Nightingale) by Ingela Tägil, a biography about Jenny Lind. She was the most famous opera singer of her time in the mid 19th century. 


Comments

  1. Great idea to begin your non-fiction November. I have just started Das Kapital, (The Capital) by Karl Marx.

    I think the non-fiction books I recommended most are the ones by Bill Bryson. I just love his sense of humour and he has taught me so much.

    I also read Summer Before Dark and found it highly interesting.

    Thanks for your post. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Das Kapital must be quite heavy to read? Or maybe not. Sometimes, I think some books are heavy, and when I finally get around to have a look, it is not that bad. I always wanted to read it, mostly because I think it has been misquoted by different movements to fit their own ideas.
      I love Bill Bryson as well.
      I have become interested in Stefan Zweig lately, so it was a treat to read this account.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Lisbeth. Not really. During my professional education, I did a lot of business and commercial studies, the beginning is rather tedious for me. But I know this was all new back then. No, it's not a heavy read at all. At least not at the moment. Let's see what I think when he gets down to the nitty-gritty. LOL

      I must admit I haven't read much about Stefan Zweig. Only The World of Yesterday last year. Here he describes his life as a Jewish author during both world wars.

      I'm looking forward to reading more by him. If you have any good ones to suggest, I'm all ears.

      Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I need to read more by and about Stefan Zweig.
    My post is here https://wordsandpeace.com/2020/11/06/nonfiction-november-my-year-2020-in-nonfiction/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, quite a busy nonfiction year. About Stefan Zweig, yes I have to read more about and from him. Excellent writer, and quite a tragic life.

      Delete
  3. I'm keen to read something about Catherine the Great after watching The Great earlier this year, so adding the Montefiore one to my list - thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my favourite book by him. It is mostly concentrated on Potemkin. I can recommend two books by Henry Troyat; Catherine the Great and Peter the Great. I think he is considered quite an expert on Russian history. Both books are great.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler