Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56



It has been a while since I posted here. Maybe because, since I now live in Sweden, I read more books in Swedish. We have excellent libraries here and that means I don't have to put more books on my already over-full TBR shelves. My local library has a shelf with new books, or new translations or just themes they want to promote. There I usually find good books. They also have a shelf with themed books related to events, time of the year etc. Now they have a shelf with horror books or at least spooky books. It is not my favourite genre, but I was attracted by this particular book; Thin Air by Michelle Paver. "The higher you go the darker it gets." 


"The Himalayas, 1935

Kangchuenjunga. Third-highest peak on earth. Greatest killer of them all.

Five Englishmen set off from Darjeeling, determined to conquer the sacred summit. But courage can only take them so far - and the mountain is not their only foe.

As mountain sickness and the horrors of extreme altitude set in, the past refuses to stay buried. And sometimes, the truth won't set you free."


Book Beginnings on Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader

"Were we wrong to attempt the conquest of Kangchenjunga? Some would say that we were, and that it is a sin to lay siege to the highest mountains on earth. Morover, of the three mightiest peaks - Mount Everest, K.2 and Kangchenjunga - seasoned alpinists regard Kangchenjunga as the most lethal. "


 

The Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice

"'My God! My God!' I whispered. Wherever I turned, I was assaulted by dizzying heights of fluted ice, a glaring white against an indigo sky. Such immensity. It was overwhelming. I couldn't take it in. Daunting to think that every one of them is thousands of feet lower than our mountain."

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Laurel-Rain. Finding Mrs. Ford sounds really thrilling. Love the tone of the beginning.

      Delete
  2. I like horror now and then, but tend to be picky about which novels I will read. I'm more more a thriller reader when it comes to wanting an adrenalin rush. Thin Air sounds intriguing though! I really like the second excerpt particularly. I felt like I was there for a minute. I can see why you were drawn to this book. I hope you are enjoying it! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fan of horror myself, but the synopsis sounded not so much like horror but superstition, mystery and ghosts, so I though it might be something for me. I have started it and it does not disappoint. It has the mixture of real life and something else ... waiting out there! Let's see when I have finished it.
      Like you I like thrillers more than horror.

      Delete
  3. Living in Sweden must be neat! Book sounds awesome too. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sweden is rather nice. Although the dark autumn is here and it has its challenges. Usually, I would travel a bit this time of the year, to sunnier places. Alas, the world situation is not allowing for the time being.
      I have started the book and it is not disappointing so far.

      Delete
  4. Great snippets! I read quite a few spooky books, and this one sounds intriguing. But I'm also afraid of heights, so maybe not one I could get through. Hope you love it, though! Happy reading, and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband, Martin, is born in Innsbruck, Austria and just loves the mountains. Myself, being born in the deep forests of the province of Småland in Sweden, see it differently. Martin has been several times to Nepal and loves it. For me, it is more scaring, hard ship and so forth. Although from the pictures it looks beautiful.
      The only climbing I would do is through books like this one. Maybe not the best story to reading if you're into climbing, but I like the threatening atmosphere that the author is gradually building up. I feel safe with both feet on the ground.
      Recently, I read 'The Woman in Black' by Susan Hill. Very good and VERY spooky.

      Delete
  5. I'm intrigued for more! Those snippets really pulled me in. Thanks for sharing! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt this was a little bit of a spooky story and loved the snippets. I have now read the book, and it was spooky. However, I am not sure what to think of the ending.

      Delete
  6. I like the bits you've shared--man (and woman) versus nature can be quite interesting. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find man versus nature interesting. Sometimes I think though, we should not mess to much with nature.

      Delete
  7. It's always so nice to have well-stocked local libraries, right?! Glad you're getting to read more books in Swedish. This one definitely sounds like an exciting, thrilling read! I hope you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After living 35 years abroad in countries where I don't really speak the language, it is a treat to have a local library. You can easily also borrow e-books which makes the procedure even more easy.
      The books was quite good, a little bit spooky, but there was something missing in the end I thought. It very well characterised being on a mountain, exposed to nature I think.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler