Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Nonfiction November - Week 2

 


We have reached week 2 of Nonfiction November, hosted by Julie@Julz Read.

Week 2: (November 9-13) – is all about Book Pairing: This week, pair up a nonfiction book with a fiction title. It can be an “If you loved this book, read this!” or just two titles that you think would go well together. Maybe it’s a historical novel and you’d like to get the real history by reading a nonfiction version of the story. 

I read a lot of historical fiction, and find that I often want to read a nonfiction book just to see how well the author has followed history. I recently read The Girl Who Tempted Fortune by Jane Ann McLachlan. It is set in the Kingdom of Naples at the beginning of the 14th century. I have read quite a lot about the time as regards the region of Tuscany and Milan, but not so much about Naples. So far I have not found a nonfiction book to read about this time. Could you recommend one? 

After having visited Florence in February this year (just before the pandemic started) I got inspired to read about this wonderful city. I have read quite a lot earlier and have several books about Florence and the Medicis on my shelves. I did find two books at the library which were interesting. 

  • The Tigress of Forli (Renaissance Italy's most courageous and notorious countess, Caterina Riario Sforza de' Medici by Elizabeth Lev - what a woman! She achieved so much during her life, and in a time when the world was ruled by men. Amazing and interesting. 
  • A book by Göran Hägg about the Medicis - Magnifika miljardärer och mördande mecenater i renässansens Florens (Medici - Magnificent Billionaires and Murderous Patrons in Renaissance Florence - my transl.) 

 This second week I am also reading two books about Delft. We visited Delft in August and it is, as mentioned above, always inspiring to read a nonfiction book about your destination. Delft is so full of history and art that it is difficult to choose. I bought two books at the Vermeer Museum.

  • Vermeer's Little Street by Frans Gruzenhout - it is about one of the few views of Delft that he painted. Review to come.
  • A View of Delft, Vermeer then and now by Anthony Bailey - a history of the city and its most famous resident. Still to read.

Comments

  1. Great idea. I also thought about a Dutch theme. But I haven't posted it, yet. Talk to you then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said earlier, my Week 2 is also on a Dutch theme, tulips.

      Delete
  2. The Vermeer books especially interest me, Lisbeth. I have such fond memories of my short visit there. I would love to return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delft is one of the prettiest city in the Netherlands.

      Delete
    2. Jeanie, I think that when you have been there Vermeer grows on you. I just posted about his painting The Little Street and the mystery surrounding where it was painted. Very interesting.

      Delete
    3. Marianne, indeed it is. There are a lot of beautiful cities there, but Delft must be quite unique.

      Delete
    4. So lovely. Just what everone imagines a Dutch town would be like.

      Delete
  3. fascinating. Did you look at these sources on wikipedia?
    - Colletta, Pietro (13 October 2009), The History of the Kingdom of Naples: From the Accession of Charles of Bourbon to the Death of Ferdinand I, I. B. Tauris, ISBN 978-1-84511-881-5
    - Musto, Ronald G. (2013). Medieval Naples: A Documentary History 400–1400. New York: Italica Press. ISBN 9781599102474. OCLC 810773043.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma. I have not really looked for something, much prefer to have a recommendation. I will look into them. I am sure there are a lot written about it. I think I have been so concentrated on Firenze and Milan that other interested areas have been forgotten.

      Delete
  4. We visited Florence in 2018, and I read lots of books about Italy in preparation for the visit, including Leonardo Da Vinci by Walter Isaacson and That Fine Italian Hand, though these only touch on what you are seeking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such an amazing city, with a very interesting history. It is always good to have some tips about Florence readings. I will look into these. Da Vinci was of course one of the most talented of the Renaissance artists.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler