Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

The Secret Wife by Gill Paul



When I read the text on the back cover of this book I was a little bit hesitant to read this book. I have read quite a lot about the Romanovs, especially the last family, and felt that I did not need another story about them. Especially, since modern discoveries and science have put an end to the discussions whether one, or more, of the siblings survived their ordeal. I did start it though and I could not put it down until it was finished.

From the web-site of Gill Paul a short introduction.
"Two stories.
Two very different women, linked by the secrets of history. 
2016. After a devastating revelation, Kitty flees to her great-grandfather’s cabin on the shore of Lake Akanabee, New York State. There she discovers the spectacular jewelled pendant that will lead her to an extraordinary, long-buried family secret… 
1914. Russia is on the brink of collapse, and the Romanov family faces a terrifyingly uncertain future. Grand Duchess Tatiana has fallen in love with injured cavalry officer Dmitri, but events take a catastrophic turn, placing their romance – and their lives – in danger…"
Paul has written a fascinating story about a time of turmoil, that affected so many people. It is exciting, emotional and well researched as come to actual events. She has combined real and fictional events into an intriguing story of love and war, that stretches from World War I, the Russian revolution, into World War II and beyond. A fight for love that never ends, that affects the people concerned, but also the people that they meet. It even affects later generations. 

The two parallell stories work very well. Kitty's inheritance leads her to her great-grandfather of which she has hardly heard anything. Going through his cabin, talking to people, researching the internet, she slowly gets to know more about the man he was and the secret he kept. In the end his life and destiny give her a new look on her own life and relationships. It is Kitty and Dmitri who are the narrators. Through Kitty we learn more about the bigger story of the Romanovs and through Dmitri the smaller, more detailed parts of the story. It works very well in getting the story through. 

I really took to this story and the writing of Gill Paul. The link goes to her web-site, where you see other books she has written, both fiction and non fiction. I will certainly read something more of her. This was a book I really loved and although it is a romantic story, she has kept it on a realistic base, which makes it all so real. 

Comments

  1. Thanks for posting about this one (which I'd not heard of). I know what you mean about the Romanovs so it's nice that this one was worthwhile. (I just saw the musical "Anastasia" the other night and while the costumes and sets were great and the performances fine, I was glad when it was over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this is definitely worth a read. I think I will try some of her other books. They seem to be of a similar style.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler