Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Kristin Lavransdotter by Sigrid Undset



In November Classic Spin #19 we were encouraged to read a chunkster book, and were given a deadline for 31 January 2019. I had not adjusted my list to chunksters only, so my no. 1 was Henry James' Washington Square which I finished rather quickly, since it is not really a thick book at all.  I decided to choose another, thicker book, from my list. I wanted to read Kristin Lavransdotter by Sigrid Undset for a long time.  My version compiles all the three books (The Wreath, The Wife and The Cross) of this Norwegian family saga, set during the Medieval Ages, mid 14th century.

Sigrid Undset was born in Denmark in 1882 and died in Norway in 1949. She wrote the book in Norwegian. The prize motivation was: "principally for her powerful description of Northern life during the Middle Ages." On this I can agree. It is a fantastic family saga, a strong female 'heroine', traditions, life at the countryside, or mountains, religion and superstition.
"No one and nothing can harm us, child, except what we fear and love."
Sigrid Undset, The Wreath
The book tells about nature, traditions and above all religion in this small corner of Norway. It is mixed with the story of Kristin Lavransdotter, her love for Erlend and their children. In the summer of 1959, the Swedish Radio asked their listeners to choose the best love story in the world. Kristin Lavransdatter won a clear victory. It is a love story, but not of the romantic kind. Kristin and Erlend love each other, but the hardship of daily life takes its toll. Kristin has been raised to take care of a big farm. Erlend was out fighting for his king and lived a different life. Kristin is the pillar of the family, taking care of house, children and people working for them. Erlend is a restless soul and have difficulties settling down. I think most people can identify with both of them, and we can also see similarities with our lives today.
"Many a man is given what is intended for another, but no man is given another's fate."

Sigrid Undset, The Wife 
Kristin Lavransdotter is an epic saga and an excellent story of how life was at the time. I was quite surprised how strong religion was (although I guess I should not). Religion was mixed with superstition, a lot of rules for people to live by and it added a sort of anxiety. Undset also manages to include politics and how it affects the families. It was turbulent times and a fight for the throne. To complicate matters, there was a union between Sweden and Norway and a minor on the throne. Political turmoil in other words.

It is a chunkster of a book (860 pages for all three books). It took a little bit of time to read, lots of text and less dialogue. However, this is a book that grows on you.  Although a love story, real life takes over and the love of the young very quickly disappears behind the daily chores. I am glad I read it, and I have thought a lot about it after I finished it. It does stay with you. I can understand why it got the Nobel Prize in Literature, and as such, it is more 'accessible' than most other winners.

Comments

  1. This is on my TBR & I'm really looking forward to it - your review has encouraged me further :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is somewhat long in the descriptions in between, but she writes very well and it is fascinating to read about those times. The books seems to be quite authentic of the times. It is also nice to read about a great love which also describes the day to day life. It is not always very romantic.

      Delete
  2. You have sold me on wanting to try this book. I'm adding it to my list of books I may add when I finish my original list of fifty. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. Happy I could inspire you. It is quite a different kind of love story.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster