Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

New purchases



At Christmas I received a book voucher, so the other week I went over to the bookshop to see what was on offer. Since I try to read from my TBR shelves, and download to my ipad, I don't often go an buy a book in the bookshop. I have found though, since I am back in Sweden, that I go there a little bit more often than before. Still, I like to read English books in the original language, but it is a pleasure to find book in Swedish these days.

My voucher, plus an offer of three books for 10€, gave me ten books, to the price of 17€! Yes, a good deal indeed, since books are quite expensive in Sweden. Plus I ordered one from Amazon (Prisoners of Geography). Here is a short summary of the books. Some of them are translated in English and some are not.

Prisoners of Geography (Ten maps that tell you everything you need to know about global politics) by Tim Marshall. I ordered this via Amazon, since I wanted it in English. From the back cover:
"All leaders are constrained by geography. Their choices are limited by mountains, rivers, seas and concrete. Yes, to follow world events you need to understand people, ideas and movements - but if you don't know geography, you'll never have the full picture. ...
Prisoners of Geography looks at the past, present and future to offer an essential insight into one of the major factors that determines world history. It's time to put the 'geo' back into geopolitics."
I have been looking at this book for some time. It sounds like an interesting mix of geography, history and politics.

Macbeth by Jo Nesbo probably do not need any more detailed introduction. One of the most popular thriller writers in the world.
"He’s the best cop they’ve got. When a drug bust turns into a bloodbath it’s up to Inspector Macbeth and his team to clean up the mess. He’s also an ex-drug addict with a troubled past. He’s rewarded for his success. Power. Money. Respect. They’re all within reach. But a man like him won’t get to the top. Plagued by hallucinations and paranoia, Macbeth starts to unravel. He’s convinced he won’t get what is rightfully his. Unless he kills for it."
I am almost ashamed to say I have not read anything by him. I have The Leopard on my shelves and started it once. The murder in the beginning was so terrible I could not continue to read. I don't know why murder mysteries these days have to have such violent murders (many of them in Nordic/Scandinavian books). Well, hopefully this starts less terrible. One read I can go back to the other one.


The Letter by Kathryn Hughes. New to me author and a story from two different times; 1939 and 1973. Tina Craig works in a second hand shop. One day finds an unopened letter in the pocket of a jacket. Reading it will change her life forever. In 1939 Billy Stirling know that he has behaved liked an idiot towards his girlfriend. He writes a letter to put everything in order. Two women's history, although born in different times, fate has its role in their lives.

1793 by Niklas Natt och Dag. A book that has received raving revues in Sweden (I think it is about to be translated into English and other languages). A historical murder mystery in 1793, one year after the king Gustaf III was murdered at the Maskerade Ball. Times are in turmoil and a corpse is found in Fatburen in the Södermalm area of Stockholm. The dead has no arms and no legs, but the injuries are not new. Cecil Winge is about to retire, but is forced back to solve the murder. What can be better for me than a historical fictional murder mystery?

Bokhandeln på Riverside Drive (The Book Shop on Riverside Drive: my translation) by Frida Skybäck. I have read about this author before, and because she writes historical fiction I am interested in her books. This one, however, is present time. Charlotte is too young to be a widow and to young to lose the one she loves. When she, out of the blue, gets a message that she has inherited a house in London by an aunt she hardly knows, she decides to give it a try. The house contains a book shop, somewhat on the border of bankruptcy. She decides to try to rescue it, and in the process realises that something is wrong. Why did she never meet her aunt? Which dark secret is hidden in the house?
The book is charming, well-written and compared with Notting Hill. I though you can't really go wrong here?

Gustaf Fröding by Staffan Bergsten. Gustaf Fröding is one of our great poets. He wrote beautiful poetry, but fought all his life with a mental illness and his difficult relationship with love. Bergsten is an author and literature historian and looks into Fröding's life, problems and, in spite of everything, possibility to write his poetry.

Tornet och fåglarna (The Tower and the birds: my translation) by Ellen Mattson. A story of one of Sweden's historical riddles. In 1719, Commander of the fortress in Marstrand Henrich Danckwardt, sees how the Danish are gathering along the coast. Although there is still food and ammunition enough in the fortress he capitulated four days later. This novel looks into why he capitulated.  Another historical fiction about a real time event and its consequences.

The Andalusian Friend by Alexander Söderberg. "When Sophie Brinkmann—nurse, widow, single mother—meets Hector Guzman, her life is uneventful. She likes his quiet charm and easy smile; she likes the way he welcomes her into his family. She quickly learns, though, that his smooth façade masks something much more sinister." 
I have heard about this book and it seems to be an exciting read. Translated to several languages and a film is in the making. It is the first book of at least three with Sophie Brinkmann in the lead.

Ett mörker mitt ibland oss (A Darkness Among Us: my translation) by Marie Jungstedt. One of the famous Swedish criminal writers. This is her latest. Many of her books have been translated and I am sure this one will be as well.  During a sailing race around Gotland a storm is nearing. When the mast is broken from "Mother of Dragons" her crew has to seek refuge ashore. On the beach they find a dead man with a gag and his hands tied to his back.
Sounds like another exciting thriller.

Sängkammartjuven (The Bedroom Thief: my translation) by Cecilia Gyllenhammar. How much can a woman long for a man? How far can this longing go and how much do you dare to put into play. Suss lives a rich life with her three children. Patrick turns up and they spend all their time together. Until one day...! Another book with good reviews in Sweden and it sounds like an exciting relationship novel.

And last but not least; Snow White Must Die by Nele Neuhaus. Already read and reviews. Post under link.

Well, that is it for now and for some time to come I think. My book shelves are full and there are many books there I have not read. Sometimes it is nice though, to get some newly published books.

Comments

  1. I have been wanting to read something by Jo Nesbo too. I have not either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is supposed to be very good. I just have to get over the initial pages in my other book. Or maybe read this one first. Let me know when and if you read anything by him.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster