Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Which books do I save on my shelves? Letter B


Continuing my journey through the books I save on my shelves, and have arrived at letter B. That is, authors whose surname starts with B.  I organise my books in alphabetical by surname. There seem to be many more books with authors on B than on A. Hm...



Bailey, Anthony - A View of Delft, Vermeer then and now

Bagerius, Henric & Berglund Louise (ed) - Politik och Passion, Svenska kungligheters äktenskap under 600 år (about Politic and Passion, Royal Swedish marriages during 600 years)

Bart, Istvan - Den olycklige prinsen i Mayerling (The unhappy prince in Mayerling)

Backman, Margareta - Kungar, drottningar, älskare och älskarinnor (Kings, queens and lovers)

Blom, K. Arne & Moen, Jan - Försvunna städer i Skåneland (Lost cities in Scania)

Barker, Juliet - The Brontës

Bremer, Fatima - Ett jävla solsken, biografi om Ester Blenda Nordström (A bloody sunshine, a biography of Ester Blenda Nordström)

Burton, Nina - Gutenberggalaxens nova, berättelse om Erasmus av Rotterdam, humanismen och 1500-talets medierevolution (The Gutenberg galaxy nova, a story about Erasmus of Rotterdam, humanism and 16th century media revolution)

Under nonfiction most of the books are about history. When you see the titles you wonder if I am obsessed with royalty? More historical royalty, that is true. But, that is also because they were the ones making history in the old days. The Barker and Bremer books are biographies. If you are interested in the Brontës I think Juliet Barker is a must read. There is everything about them. Ester Blenda Nordström was a female, Swedish journalist in the beginning of the last century. She was the first one who took a job, as a maid at a farm, and then wrote a book about the working condition. It generated quite a stir, not only with the farmer she worked with. She was controversial all her life, and did things nobody else did. Full or energy and ideas. Burton's book is a story of Erasmus, his world and his print on it. Very interesting book. 



Banville, John - The Newton Letter

Banville, John - Kepler

Banville, John - Mrs Osmond

Barry, Sebastian - The Secret Scripture

Benson, Ann - The Plague Tales

Brontë, Charlotte - The Professor

Brontë, Charlotte - Villette

Brontë, Emily - Wuthering Heights

Brown, Dan - The Da Vinci Code

Burlin, Tua - Konungens sändebud

Burton, Jessie - The Miniaturist


Several book by John Banville, maybe because they are signed by the author himself. I enjoyed Kepler, but not The Newton Letter so much. Mrs Osmond is a continuation of Henry James' A Portrait of a Lady, absolutely excellent. Written in the style of James. I loved his 'Portrait' and Banville has managed to write a sequel worthy of the first book. Sebastian Barry, always a favourite. I think this is one of his very best. The Plague Tales by Ann Benson I read many, many years ago, but the story still stays with me. One of my favourite books, told in two different time lines and a very nice twist at the end. Highly recommended. Charlotte Brontë a favourite after my years in Brussels. I still think Jane Eyre is her best. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë an absolute favourite all time. The Da Vinci Code I think does not need any further introduction. My kind of historical mystery. Konungens sändebud a Swedish historical fiction taking place in the 16th century. From a debutant, first in a trilogy so more to enjoy. The Minaturist I think most of you know, and I liked it very much. 


Comments

  1. Wow, I couldn't list all mine, I do my non-fiction by subject, so that would be hard, but I have so many books! A nice peek into your life and shelves, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LyzzyBee. I can do it because I really have no space and choose carefully what to save and not.

      Delete
  2. What a fun idea for a post, Lisbeth! I couldn't begin to categorize by author -- I do by genre. But I'll think about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. It is rather fun and it gives me an opportunity to consider the books again. What I liked about them and what they mean to me.

      Delete
  3. PS -- that was me above as anonymous. Google/blogger is misbehaving again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler