Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Which books do I save on my shelves? Letter A



As I have much less space for books than I used to have, I had to come up with a system to choose which book would stay and which would go. I think I have mentioned earlier that I usually save nonfiction books, but only save fiction books that I really love. In this case I know that the books standing on my shelves are my absolute favourites. I don't throw away the other books but give them away to friends or second hand shops so other people can enjoy them. The other reason why I choose this way of preserving some books is that I rarely re-read a book. There are exceptions of course, but rare.

I wanted to share with you my favourite books that I keep on my shelves. This series will be a list of nonfiction and fiction, starting authors on letter A. 



Adkins, Lesley and Boy - The Key of Egypt, The Race to Read the Hieroglyphs

Armstrong, Karen - A Short History of Islam

Ashdown-Hill, John - Eleanor, The Secret Queen - The Woman who put Richard III on the Throne 



Alighieri, Dante - The Divine Comedy - Hell 

Alighieri, Dante - The Divine Comedy - Purgatory 

Alighieri, Dante - The Divine Comedy -  Paradise 

Austen, Jane - Pride and Prejudice

Auster, Paul - The Book of Illusions


The Divine Comedy - I had them on my shelves for ages, and finally got to read them. Not an easy read, but still enjoyable the way it was written. 
Pride and Prejudice - My absolute favourite of Austen's books, and this I have actually re-read. Maybe even more than once. Not to talk about the TV-series which I have seen several times.
The Book of Illusions - Also a favourite Paul Auster. I was totally hooked by the story of silent comedian Hector Mann who vanished from sight way back in 1929. When a professor embarks on a journey to find out more about this man, curious things happen. 



Comments

  1. THis is a fun post and gives me ideas to ponder. The books on our shelves -- and why we keep them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie, looking forward to see what you come up with. I thought it was a good way for me personally to reflect on the books I save. Why do I like them?

      Delete
  2. My system is similar to yours. I keep mostly nonfiction, with a shelf of fiction I might read again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Deb, sounds like the system I decided to follow. It does not mean I will read them all again. The nonfiction are always good to use to look things up. The fiction shows what you really like. Possibly some of them will be read again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler