Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Paris in July 2021 - A Climate of Fear (Temps glaciaires) by Fred Vargas

Time for a French author for Paris in July. Fred Vargas is a favourite and I found an e-book copy from my library. This is book number 10 in the Commissaire Jean-Baptiste Adamsberg series. Adamsberg is not the ordinary detective and so are not his colleagues. I think that is one reason why I enjoy Vargas' books. The whole police precinct consists of individual characters with, sometimes, strange habits. The other reason I enjoy her books is that the murder stories often go back in time and often have historical links. As is the case in this book. Here we go back to Maximilian Robespierre and the French Revolution.

"A woman is found murdered in her bathtub, and the murder has been made to look like a suicide. But a strange symbol found at the crime scene leads the local police to call Commissaire Adamsberg and his team. When the symbol is found near the body of a second disguised suicide, a pattern begins to emerge: both victims were part of a disastrous expedition to Iceland over ten years ago where a group of tourists found themselves trapped on a deserted island for two weeks, surrounded by a thick, impenetrable fog rumored to be summoned by an ancient local demon. Two of them didn t make it back alive. But how are the deaths linked to the secretive Association for the Study of the Writings of Maximilien Robespierre? And what does the mysterious symbol signify?"

A thrilling mystery set both in France and on Iceland. The search for the murder is going slowly, but what I can imagine as rather realistic. Adamsberg finds a clue here, another there, and when they seem to show him in different directions, he might go for a walk to clear his head. Or drink a bear with his neighbour. Sooner or later the clues come together and he can present the culprit. Not in grand style like Monsieur Poirot, but with discretion. 

The story moves slowly forward and have all the features for a good detective story. Old family drama, threats, peculiar societies, mysterious murders and much more. What about a wild boar as a domestic animal? People obsessed with Maximilian Robespierre dressing up in 18th century clothes and re-enacting his speeches. A lot of things to find here. The culprit is hidden until the very end, but he/she cannot trick commissaire Adamsberg. A very exciting read that kept me up until late. 

Comments

  1. This sounds like one I should surely read! Especially if I succeed in going to Iceland.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very interesting and although there is not soo much from Iceland it gives a hint of the society and landscape.
      Iceland is fantastic. We were there for three weeks in 2017, going around in a camper van. One of the best holidays ever.
      If you love Iceland you have to read books (thrillers) by Arnaldur Indridason and Ragnar Jonasson. Absolutely interesting stories to there murder mysteries.

      Delete
  2. So glad you read it. I so enjoy Fred Vargas's series, I listened to all of it. I also read her fabulous nonfiction, where she tries to alert us on what we are doing to our planet: L'Humanité en péril, alas not available in English

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I still have a few to read, of which I am happy. She has a very interesting background. Probably why I like her stories so much.

      Delete
  3. I've not read Fred Vargas and I think it's an author I should add to my list. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should, she is really good. Her stories behind the murders are always interesting. Maybe because she is an archaeologists and historian. Must make for good stories when your fantasy start working.

      Delete
  4. I read Fred Vargas for Paris in July one year, and was pleasantly surprised. Not the least of which was partly because I thought Fred was a male. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is really good. I have liked all the books I have read. I also thought it was a man when I read the first book.

      Delete
  5. Oh, this looks good. I'm going to see if my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do, I am sure you will like it. The murder stories are always interesting, as well as the somewhat unusual ways Adamsberg has to solve the cases. A fresh approach in the quite overwhelmed mystery/thriller genre.

      Delete
  6. This sounds like it could be right up my alley, or maybe I should say Avenue or Boulevard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. I think Avenue or Boulevard would be appropriate this time. I am sure you will like it. Her books are really good.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler