Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon


I think I got this book through my son who read it in school (or was supposed to read it, unfortunately, it is difficult to get him to read any book at all!). It was much talked of when it was published. It is a wonderful story, told by a boy with Asperger's Syndrome. The neighbour's dog is found dead with a garden folk in his body. Christopher takes it on himself to solve the murder mystery. He starts a diary to write down everything that is happening.

We just don't enter into a murder mystery, we are entering into a totally different mind set. Christopher's way of approaching life, people and his surroundings is a different world and we realise how difficult it must be. He is a very intelligent boy and knows a lot about maths, but little about human beings. His life is limited by obstacles in his mind. He does not like yellow and brown things and cannot eat anything with such colours. He does not like being touched. His world is limited to his own street and his school. When deciding to solve the murder of the dog, his life takes a whole new path. He enters into areas where he has never been before. His family life is uprooted and it takes him on a terrifying journey.

Mark Haddon takes you into another world, and he does it in a respectful way. Although we cannot understand all the obstacles that Christopher has to live with, and how it effects his family. Haddon makes us try to understand. It is very well written and you are there with Christopher on his unusual journey. Sometimes you just want to say; "Stop it, on you go"; "pay no attention to that", but we realise that it is impossible for him. The novel highlights the difficulties for such persons, but not in a "I feel sorry" kind of way. No, we are there with Christopher, following along and encouraging  him when he ventures out of his comfort zone. We are proud when he manages to achieve what he wanted to do.

It is remarkable how well Haddon describes Christopher and his world. It is an eye opener and you just get to love this young kid. On top of it all, Haddon adds a lot of humour to the story. That is probably why we realise, that there is not anything wrong with Christopher's world, this is the world. Amazing book.

Comments

  1. I read this book quite some time ago, but I remember how the voice of the boy was so spot on to people with Asperger’s disease. I was quite impressed with the author’s skill at making him so real, and the way he was able to create such compassion in me, the reader. A teacher friend of mine works with children who have special needs, and she was quite impressed as well. It makes me want to reread this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he really manages to write spot on, very impressing. It must be very difficult, but also rewarding, to work with such children. I think the book took us into Christoper's world and gave us a little bit on understanding.

      Delete
  2. I have seen this as a play and would so like to add the book to my list. It's a beautiful story. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I did not know it was a play. Must be interesting. It is a beautiful story and you really get to love Christopher.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster