Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Nonfiction November 2022 - Week 5

We have reached the final week of November and it is time for a wrap-up. The month went very fast, but I am rather pleased with what I read. Having had a little bit of hybris, I also signed up for Novellas and German Lit Month for November. 'It is what it is' as a famous person said. For week 5 we have the following challenge.


Week 5: (November 28-Dec 2) – New to My TBR: It’s been a month full of amazing nonfiction books! Which ones have made it onto your TBR? Be sure to link back to the original blogger who posted about that book! Pro tip: Start this draft post at the beginning of the month and add to it as your TBR multiplies. (Jaymi @ The OC Bookgirl

For once I did do some notes when I found a very interesting book, which I have failed to do previous years. Even so, there have been a lot of interesting books during this month, so here are just a few I paid extra attention to (in now special order).

What's Nonfiction

Tunnel 29 by Helena Merriman  and The Ratline and East West Street by Philippe Sands. They also come with thrilling podcasts on BBC Radio 4 Intrigue. Got totally hooked on The Ratline and Murder in the Lucky Holiday Hotel. Now it is time for the books. 

Another totally addicted podcast is Crooked Media's Wind of Change. Could not wait to finish this one to find out the ending.

 The Supernatural, One Mans Search for the Truth About Ghosts by Will Storr. Sounds like an intriguing read. Maybe we will find something out?

Readerbuzz

Around the World in 80 Books by David Demrosch (Books-about-Books)

Hard Times: An Oral History of the Great Depression by Studs Terkel's (about the Great Depression) pairing with Kristin Hannah's fiction book, The Four Winds. You might also consider reading John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. The last book has been on my list for a long time. It is always interesting to read such books together with a nonfiction, so good pairing here. 

Bookfever

Ancient History Fangirl another podcast that sounds interesting.


The Woman Who Would Be King by Kara Cooney 


Antigone Rising: The Subversive Power of the Ancient Myths by Helen Morales 


Cities that Shaped the Ancient World by Editor: John Julius Norwich 


Bookfever and I share a love for history.


Adventures in reading, running and working from home


Small Town Girl, Love, Lies and the Undercover Police by Donna McLean


Skylark: The compelling novel of love, betrayal and changing the world  by Alice O’Keeffe


I think this is a pairing fiction/nonfiction. A present day criminal case. 



books are my favourite and best


My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh- Sounds like a book we all need to read. 



Reading Life


The Anna Karenina Fix: Lessons in Happiness From Russian Literature by Viv Groskop. Always good with some lessons in happiness. I am just asking myself whether Anna Karenina is an example? Hm, a must read I think. 


Let's Read


Why We Read by Josephine Greywoode. Sounds like it could give us a reason for our obsessions. 


                                                                            *****


Thank you all for your suggestions and inspirations. I have really enjoyed this month, and to follow what you read. That takes me to what I read myself. I read 14 books this month of which four nonfiction


Gudar och människor (How do we Look? The Eye of Faith) by Mary Beard. She takes us back to the ancient world and forward to investigate how artists have visualised man. Very interesting. 

 

The Lodger, Shakespeare on Silver Street by Charles Nicholl. Nicholl takes us back to the small street of London in pursuit of real life accounts on Shakespeare's life. He is mentioned in a couple of law documents, and around this Nicholl looks at his neighbours, fellow writers/actors and life in general in the centre of London. 


Girig-Sverige by Andreas Cervenka. Cervenka won a best nonfiction prize for this book about Greedy Sweden. It is about the economy and financial world in Sweden, and how some people can become very, very rich due to the system. You just have to know how to do it. Very interesting insight into the financial back alleys, but all legal. 

 

Skånska stenar berättar by K. Arne Blom and Jan Moen.  Skåne, or Scania is the southern province of Sweden, once belonging to Denmark. Here you can find traces of early settlements and history, carved in stone or remembered by a stone or plaque retelling the story. Interesting and a tip for excursions. 


Considering I read books for Novellas in November and German Literary Month I am quite pleased with these four books.








Comments

  1. Nice idea to add the books you saw on other pages, I just listed the books I had received recently on my New to my TBR. But it was fun nontheless.
    Have a happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler