Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Starting March in a bookish way

Already March and time flies. Here in Sweden, we have reached the end of the annual book sale, and for an offer of 'buy 4 books and pay for 3', I popped over to the book shop and managed, without much problems I have to admit, buy another four books. I was mainly looking for nonfiction, found only three, so added a fiction book I am eager to read. 

New purchases

Ödesmark (The Last Snow) by Stina Jackson - this is her second book about life and mystery in the north of Sweden. I loved her first book, Silvervägen (The Silver Road). She comes from the north of Sweden but lives in Denver, Colorado today. Excellent writing about life in a harsh environment, spiced with a mystery. Highly recommended if you have not yet read anything by her.

The three nonfiction books are about Swedish history. From diligent historian, Dick Harrison, I choose Mordet på Gustav III, about king Gustav III who was shot at an opera ball on 16 March, 1792, and died from his wounds a few days later. A famous drama from the Swedish history.

Tomas Blom's book Sturemorden, ett blodigt maktspel, covers another bloody chapter in our history. In the late spring of 1567, king Erik XIV suffers from mental disorder, and sees conspiracies wherever he looks. In the end he looses control, and puts his knife into prisoner Nils Sture, a noble man. The event ends in killing several of the Sture family and other nobilities. 

For more easygoing historical events, I bought a book about Prehistoric Skåne (the area where I live now). It promises 18 spectacular excursions from volcanoes to dinosaurs. Quite suitable when we are approaching spring, and hopefully, nicer weather. 

Finished

This morning I finished Antikens Religioner (The Religions of the Antiquity) by Ingvild S Gilhus and Einar Thomassen. It was part of my February theme Antiquity and Other Greek Tales. It also covers my challenge of non English/Swedish authors, since they are Norwegian.  

Very interesting telling on religions from the Middle East and the area around the Mediterranean Sea. From Egypt and Mesopotamia, to Greece, Iran and on to the Romans. Many of us today believes in only one god, but then there were so many, protecting each part of society, people, agriculture and everything else. The Romans, who mainly took their gods from the Greeks, but gave them a new name, also included a few other gods from older civilisations. On their terms, of course. It would take too much to go into each of the religions here, but in the end the authors look at the continuity and renewal of these religions.

Are there any traces left of later antiquity in our post modern society? In a way it is. For example, we find traces of latin in several roman languages; it is still studied; the church, the bureaucracy and diplomacy in Europe used it for centuries; a lot of the names we give our children come from Hebrew, Greek or Latin; democracy, the theatre are still playing comedies and tragedies from the antiquity; the olympic games and so on. All have roots in the old Greek world. 

What about religion? Antiquity was divided into a western and eastern sphere. Christianity became predominant in the west, and islam came to dominate the eastern part. Greece and Italy became Christians, while Egypt, Mesopotamia and Persia became muslim. 

Whether we know it or not, we are still influenced by the Antiquity today. One only hopes that we can respect each other's religions, and live together in peace. The main thing is that we have something 'higher' to believe in, if we wish to do so.  

It was interesting to finish this book for the monthly theme. Although, I have to admit that I still have a few chapters left of The Iliad, before I can put it behind me. 

Comments

  1. Sounds like a wonderful yearly opportunity. Are the discounts really interesting, money wise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Mainly because books, for one reason or the other, are very expensive in Sweden. Many offers are like 8 USD to a usual 25USD price.

      Delete
    2. Nice discount! How about public libraries? Are they good? Public libraries are fantastic in the US, free and offering so so much. And At least in Illinois, if my library, or my group of local libraries doesn't have a book, I can request it for free as long as it's on another Illinois library! It's really amazing. I use this interlibrary loan service a lot, for more scholarly books, or French editions sometimes

      Delete
    3. Our public libraries are also great. They have most books, and if they don't have them, they order from another library. I am so happy to have access to their treasures. It is a fantastic service. Also in other languages.

      Delete
  2. You have a heavy reading month! But they all look very interesting. Thanks for coming by the other day, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I don't expect to be able to read all of them, but probably a few other books as well. They are mostly nonfiction, and when I read a lot of those books, I tend to 'relax' with some easygoing fiction.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler