Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

February Wrap-up

February has reached its end. Time for a wrap up of what I read this month. 

FINDS

The last week of by AnnaBookBel's Nordic FINDS challenge. Outstanding country was Iceland. I wanted to read an old classic, Salka Valka by Halldór Laxness, but could not get hold of it. Instead I found two books from my local library by Arnaldur Indridason that I had not yet read, The Shadow District and PetsamoThe challenge is finalised for this year, but Annabel is hinting that there might be another one next year. Looking forward to it, and hope to be more organised then.

My own challenge

  • a nonfiction from my TBR shelves chosen by a random generator Stalingrad by Anthony Beevor -   I had no time to even start this book, so it will go with me into March. 
  • a fiction from my TBR shelves chosen by a random generatorThe History of the Siege of Lisbon (História do cerco de Lisboa) by José Saramago - I have started reading. I started it several times before but could not continue. However, this time I read the back cover more closely, found the interesting story behind it, and am now om my way. This is also on my Top 10 books to read with the Unread Shelf challenge. 
  • a translated novel outside of the English- and Swedish speaking countriesFerragus by Honoré de Balzac (e-book) - I finished this first book in a series of three. Read
  • a classic tale Confessions of an English Opium-Eater by Thomas De Quincey (e-book) - this book has been on my list for many years. Finally, I got around to read it. It is an interesting book, and he seems to be quite honest about his addiction. From the beginning he does not suffer too much from his addiction, but there comes a time when the consequences catch up with him. Interesting, but maybe not a must book to read. Read
  • a book from my Want to read listBeyond the Thirty-Nine Steps, A Life of John Buchan by Ursula Buchan - I happened to find this book as an e-book and am currently reading. Looks very promising and it seems that John Buchan was a man of many talents. It was recommended by someone during Nonfiction November. 


My February theme challenge was: Antiquity - Greek gods and other tales. 

These days there are a lot of interesting fiction about Greek gods and goddesses which are very interesting. I read in October 2020 A Thousand Ships by Nathalie Haynes and loved it very much. A take on the women in the Trojan war. Since then several stories about the Antiquity have come on the market. I have read: 

The Song of Achilles by Madeleine Miller 

Ariadne by Jennifer Saint 

Liked both books very much. Wonderful stories, and you never know what to expect of Greek gods and goddesses. 

The Iliad by Homer - I am still reading this account of the Trojan war, and am a little bit more than half through. I will continue in March. It is a magnificent story, coming to us from ancient times. Part of it is about the fighting of which I am not so interested. But in between we get a glimpse of who the people were, the lives they led and the times they were living in. Utterly fascinating. 

Antikens religioner by Ingvild S Gilhus and Einar Thomassen is an account on the various religions during the Antiquity. They take us through the religious life in Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece, Iran, Rome and two final chapters on Religious diversity in the Roman Empire and What remains of ancient religions. It is very interesting. 

The Unread Shelf

February: A title you couldn't resist - The Magdalene Legacy by Laurence Gardner - I have started this very interesting book, but did not have time to finish. 

In the Bonus and Year long challenges I have so far read the following:

  • A book in translation - Binas historia (The History of Bees by Maja Lunde (Norwegian)
  • A book about a season or phase of life - Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim
  • Book flights - Read two or more books connected by themes, subjects, settings, etc. - Maja Lunde - Climate series (#1 and 2) - The History of Bees and The End Of The Ocean. I bought the third book Przewalski's Horse at the book sale, which will be read soon. 
  • Finish a series - Read all the books from a series on your unread shelf - Honoré de Balzac x 3 (ebooks) from La Comédie Humaine - Ferragus (Read), The Duchesse de Langeais and The Girl With the Golden Eyes. I have read the first book so far and will start book two in March. 
  • The longest book - Commit to finishing the longest book on your unread shelf this year - The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (874 pages). Update: Haha, so many thick books, so I missed the thickest one. Turns out to be The Tower: Tales from a Lost Country (Das Turm) by Uwe Tellkamp (961 pages). I have had both books for a long time. Since one has to be flexible when it comes to challenges, I will try to read one chapter a day in both books. Should be finished by the end of the year, I hope. 

Read from my TBR shelves

I read a total of nine books in February, of which six came from my TBR shelves. The same number for January, and I have read 12 books from my shelves during the first two months. I am very pleased with that. 

What is up for March?

As you see,  I am quite behind on my reading. Some books I had no time to read in January or February. I will therefore continue reading what is still unread. For next month the plan is to finalise, or at least start, the following books. 

  • Kapet av Skåne, Stormaktssveriges viktigaste triumf  by Ingvar Bengtsson 
  • Presidentskan (La Regenta) by Leopoldo Alas Clarín (March 'women' theme challenge)
  • The Iliad by Homer (Classic challenge)
  • Antikens Religioner (The Religions of the Antiquity) by Ingvild S Gilhus and Einar Thomassen (two Norwegian authors, so will also go into my non E/S languages) (on my TBR) 
  • Stalingrad by Anthony Beevor 
  • The History of the Siege of Lisbon (História do cerco de Lisboa) by José Saramago
  • Beyond the Thirty-Nine Steps, A Life of John Buchan by Ursula Buchan (March unread shelf and March 'women' theme challenge)
  • The Magdalene Legacy by Laurence Gardner March 'women' theme challenge
  • The Duchesse de Langeais by Honoré de Balzac - this is the second book in a series, and will also go for a non-English/Swedish reading and March 'women' theme challenge 
  • The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber
  • The Tower by Uwe Tellkamp

The theme for March is Women, anything about female achievements, be it a female author or about a woman. Three books that fits the theme are already on my list; La Regenta, The Magdalene Legacy and The Duchess de Langeais. I leave it there and will see what will inspire me during the month.  

The Unread Shelf

March - A memoir or biography - Beyond the Thirty-Nine Steps, A Life of John Buchan by Ursula Buchan

I think that will be more than enough to occupy myself during March. 


Comments

  1. I think you did great for February! Happy March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am quite pleased. Hope you will have a wonderful reading in March.

      Delete
  2. That's an ambitious March reading list! Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel I have to catch up with the back-log. Will probably not read them all. I like to add them to a list though, just to keep track of it all.

      Delete
  3. Nice projects going on! Glad to see you are reading your way through Balzac.
    Here is my wrap for February (there's a link at the end for my March TBR video):https://wordsandpeace.com/2022/03/01/2022-february-wrap-up/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite surprised by Ferragus. I have only read Le Père Goriot earlier, which I liked. I think there will be no problems to read the other two in the series.

      Delete
  4. Well done on your TBR reading! I didn't do so well in Feb and goodness knows what will happen in March, although I have made a good start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite pleased, but it goes up and down. March started very slowly. Maybe because I am reading about 5-6 books at the same time, and never reach the end of any. Sometimes, I think, it is better to concentrate on one book at the time. However, once you start finishing off your books, you all of a sudden have added another 5-6 books read.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler