Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman


I have heard so many good reviews about this book. It is always with a little bit of ambiguity I start reading such books. But, no fear this time. It is a wonderful book. 

"In a peaceful retirement village, four unlikely friends meet up once a week to investigate unsolved murders.

But when a brutal killing takes place on their very doorstep, the Thursday Murder Club fins themselves in the middle of their first live case. Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim and Ron might be pushing eighty but they still have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Can our unorthodox but brilliant gang catch the killer before it's too late?" 

The story takes place at a somewhat luxury old people's home. More like a service home where you have your own flat, serviced with medical assistance,  swimming pool, activities etc. Could be a nice retreat for anyone. One of the many groups coming together is 'The Thursday Murder Club' which aim is to solve cold cases. The group consists of Ron, Ibrahim, Elizabeth and Joyce. Joyce is the newcomer and latest member. Her diary of events breaks up the third person narrator chapters. 

"The village is nearly dark now. In life you have to learn to count the good days. You have to tuck them in your pocket and carry them around with you. So I'm putting today in my pocket and I'm off to bed."

We understand rather quickly that these are no ordinary people, and especially so for Elizabeth. As the story evolves we get hints of her earlier life and work (I will not reveal it here) and she is the driving force of the group. Many of them, and their friends, had high positions in society and through them they can cover most areas connected to the solving of a murder case. Everything is all right until a real life murder turns up just around the corner.

The excitement is great within the group and they quickly start analysing the facts. They do realise they need the help of the police and with Elizabeth's usual charming, straight to the point 'attacks' they manage to liaise with detectives Chris and Donna.

"Ibrahim walked over to the barricade picnic, which was in full swing, and suggested that anyone who didn't want to be arrested should perhaps move their chairs off the path. This shifted a few of the fair weathers. Colin Clemence led the charge. When Ibrahim reassured the rest that they only had to clear the path and were very welcome to stay out and watch the action, there was a proper exodus. Though not a quick exodus, because you know that getting out of a garden chair at our age is a military operation. Once you are in one, you can be in it for the day."

This is an utterly charming story, told with great humour, but also with a serious streak underneath. The murder mystery is thrilling, develops in many different ways and the culprit is hidden until the very end. The four main characters of the story are well developed. Especially Joyce, who we get to know more intimately through her diary, realises that her retirement did not mean the end of life, but a new beginning. As you see from the two quotes above, Richard Osman gives us, in a humorous, but such a true way, a few hints how it is to be getting older. A lovely book, highly recommended. 

 

Comments

  1. Thanks for your great review, I was debating to read it or not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is worth reading. An easy read and it will give you some hours of enjoyment and smiles.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this excellent review, Lisbeth. This one has been on my list and I think now it has moved even higher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. I am sure you will like it. An easy and enjoyable read.

      Delete
  3. I read it a while ago, one of the few times I bought a hardback because I absolutely love Richard Osman and was curious what he would write. I knew he could express himself very well and he has a great imagination. And I was not disappointed even though I don't usually read crime stories just for the sake of a book.

    Here is my review of The Thursday Murder Club

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know who Richard Osman was. I checked him out on youtube. Love the GN show. I think I will read his second book as well. I liked the style and humour.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this, I read it along with my husband, doing the paperback while he did the audiobook, which was handy as he reads more crime than me so could explain some of the red herrings. I found it more gently melancholic than hilarious, going against the general grain, but I'm looking forward to reading the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good way of reading/listening to a book and then discuss it. At least you don't have to fight about the paper copy. You are right, hilarious was maybe to overdo it a little. Melancholic could be the right word. It was so nice to read about the old people and being reminded of the age, although the mind is young. I find this out sometimes, in the tough way.

      Delete
  5. I thoroughly enjoyed this one too Lisbeth & I have the second one to take away with me for our summer holidays. I'd love to see a movie/tv series with Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy et al doing their thing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems people who like the first book, also like his second. Oh, I would love to see such a movie with these fantastic actors. What a treat it would be.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler