Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Menfreya in the Morning by Victoria Holt


"For Harriet Delvaney, the great house of Menfreya, standing like a fortress on the Cornish coast, had always been a citadel of happiness and high spirits. Not until she herself came to Menfreya as a bride did Harriet discover the secret family legend of infidelity, jealousy and murder. And not until the legend seemed to come dangerously to life did Harriet begin to believe the old story that when the tower clock of Menfreya stopped, someone was about to die . . ."

I would say this is quite a typical Victoria Holt. We have an old house, an old family with secrets and a young girl in love the the heir. It could be a very banal story, but Victoria Holt is too good for that.

She engages us in the story of Harriet Delvaney, her life and her dreams. She is the daughter of a wealthy man, has a handicap and is not loved by her father, since her mother died giving birth to her. Her best friend and substitute mother is Fanny who has taken care of her since childhood.

She is under the spell of the Menfreya legend. Gwenna, the daughter, is one of her best friends and Bevil, the son and heir, she has  loved since early age. Life changes for all of them and Harriet is trying to adapt. It is a rather interesting story, taking place in a historical house in Cornwall, with all its legends and myths that interfere and are interpreted by the local people. The family history is a one of love, adultery and ghosts. How can Harriet navigate through it all? And can Bevil change his behaviour and love only one woman?

An easy read that kept me interested to the very end. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler