Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Book Beginnings on Fridays and The Page 56

 


This week's book I have not yet read. However, I have seen references here and there and I am really excited to start The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean. Here the summary.

"Why did Gandhi hate iodine (I, 53)? How did radium (Ra, 88) nearly ruin Marie Curie's reputation? And why is gallium (Ga, 31) the go-to element for laboratory pranksters?

The periodic table is a crowning scientific achievement, but it's also a treasure trove of passion, adventure, betrayal, and obsession. These fascinating tales follow all the elements on the table as they play out their parts in human history, finance, mythology, conflict, the arts, medicine, and the lives of the (frequently) mad scientists who discovered them.  The Disappearing Spoon masterfully fuses science with the classic lore of invention, investigation, discovery, and alchemy, from the Big Bang through the end of time."

Does it not sounds intriguing? Can hardly wait to start this book.  



Book Beginnings on Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader


"As a child in the early 1980s, I tended to talk with things in my mouth - food, dentist's tubes, balloons that would fly away, whatever - and if no one else was around, I'd talk anyway. This habit led to my fascination with the periodic table the first time I was left alone with a thermometer under my tongue."



The Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice



"In the end, it's probably impossible to tease out whether the heads or tails of science, the theory or the experiment, has done more to push science ahead. "

Comments

  1. Fascinating! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “FALLOUT”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be. I love when someone tries to explain science so most people will understand. I have a feeling this is one such book. I left a comment on your post.

      Delete
  2. All right, I'm going to admit, when I saw this was about the periodic table, I rolled my eyes a teensy bit, because I HATE chemistry. I may have been a little hasty with my assumptions, because this sounds really interesting! I might just have to check it out myself. Hope you enjoy it!

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, right. These are not my favourite subjects either, but I love when a writer can make science interesting, and I hope Sam Kean can do that with this book.

      Delete
  3. I read this years ago and hated it. It is geared to a specific audience and that was just not me. Hope you enjoy it better than I did. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, well I just have to see. Might not be for me either, although I hope so.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed this book because I learned so much from it. Fascinating stuff. My Friday quotes come from the book SAVING MY ENEMY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear. I have seen good reviews about it here and there. Hopefully, I can always learn something.

      Delete
  5. I agree, it does sound intriguing. I hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend, Lisbeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have hopes, but it is not for everyone I guess from the comments. Let's see what I think, once I have read it.

      Delete
  6. I'm going to hav eto look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do and read, please let me know what you think. I will make a review wether I like it or not.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster