Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

 

I have had The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran since 1992 when it was gifted to me. I re-read itbook for the Back to the Classic Challenge.  It goes under the title A classic by BIPOC author. I took more time to read it this time and let me be surrounded by beautiful words and philosophical meanings. 

It is about a prophet who travels from place to place. "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us." People are gathering to listen to him and ask him about the essentials of life; Love, Marriage, Children, Giving, Word, Eating and Drinking and so on. Here a few quotes from his preachings.  

Love

"... When love beckons to you, follow him,
Though his ways are hard and steep.
And when his wings enfold you shield to him,
Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.
And when he speaks to you believe in him,
Though his voice may shatter your dreams as
the north wind lays waste the garden."

Work

"... You have been told also that life is darkness,
and in your weariness you echo what was said by the weary.
And I say that life is indeed darkness save when there is urge,
And all urge is blind save when there is knowledge.
And all knowledge is vain save when there is work,
And all work is empty save when there is love;
And when you work with love you bind yourself to yourself, and to one another, and to God."

Pleasure

"And he answered, saying:
Pleasure is a freedom-song,
But it is not freedom.
It is the blossoming of your desires,
But it is not their fruit.
It is a depth calling unto a height,
But it is not the deep not the high.
It is the caged taking wing,
But it is not space encompassed
Ay, in very truth, pleasure is a freedom-song.
And I fain would have you sing it with fullness of heart; yet I would not have you lose your hearts in the singing. 
..." 

A short biography of the poet. "Kahlil Gibran was born in 1882 near Mount Lebanon, a region that has produced many prophets. He was a poet, philosopher and artist and his poetry has been translated into more than twenty languages. His drawings and paintings were compared by Auguste Rodin to the work of William Blake. His other books include The Madman, The Forerunner, The Wanderer and The Broken Wings. Kahlil Gibran died in 1931."

The drawings included in the book are beautiful and have a magic touch.   


 

Comments

  1. I wonder how many times I've read this since the 70s when it came into my life. Many, I think. Thanks for the reminder -- it has been a long, long while since I picked it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that you are familiar with it. I think I appreciated much more the second time around. I can also imagine that I will go back to look at certain aspects of life and see what he says.

      Delete
  2. My friends & I read and reread this in high school, carrying it around like a textbook - or a bible - for more than a year. That was back in the late 60s, early 70s. Then I shelved my copy for a three decades, finally parting with it during one of my book culls. There really were some beautiful bits in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. I have read it before but cannot remember too much of it. However, the second time around, I really appreciated it. A book that one can return to over and over again. Just like you did.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster