Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Paris in July 2020



Tamara at Thyme for Tea is hosting another Paris in July. I am happy to participate again. One of my favourite challenge. Looking forward to seeing fellow Paris-bloggers to see what you are up to this year.  Simple rules; we talk about everything Paris and French. Ill-prepared this year, so no high-level plans for the month. Here are some ideas I might fulfil. 
Usually, I do a French dinner, but considering the times, this will be out of the question this year. I might make up a dinner menu at least. 

I still have an unfinished post from last year(!) about saloons in Paris in the 1920s, which I will finalise.

Someone recommended R.A. Scotti's Vanished Smile, about the theft of Mona Lisa at the beginning of the 20th century. I have never heard about this theft, but it sounds interesting. Especially, since I know the painting came back to the museum. Will try to find the book. 

I will go to the library and see what French they have. Maybe I will try two of my favourite French thriller writers; Michel Bussi and Fred Vargas. They never disappoint. 

I had a look on my own shelves. Unfortunately, not too much connected to France. I found three books though where I can make a French connection. 
  • Bussy-Rabutin - Histoire amoureuse des Gaules - bought it at his castle when we visited some years ago. My French is poor, but I might be able to read a few chapters.
  • Charles Mackay - Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds. "This classic catalogue of some of the more outré enthusiasms - speculative, social, religious and just plain daft - serves as a salutary reminder that the follies of mankind are not unique to the moderns world." I have found some connections to France, so let's see what follies I can find.
  • Göran Norrby - The Rise and Fall of the House of von Fersen, 1561-1879. A Swedish biography about the von Fersen family. Axel von Fersen was rumoured to be the lover of Marie Antoinette, and also tried to help them flee. Unsuccessfully. 
There are of course many interesting French writers that I may add to the list.

I will also check out some French films, TV-series and music. 

I might go back to our French travels and find a few pictures and stories.




Comments

  1. nice! If you are interested, I have 2 books available for reviews, both about France. See here https://francebooktours.com/2020/06/10/paulita-kincer-on-tour-falling-for-provence/ and here https://francebooktours.com/2020/06/03/will-bashor-on-tour-marie-antoinettes-world/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Emma, I would love to review the two books. I am following Paulita via her blog and wanted to read her books. Reading about Marie Antoinette is always interesting, and would fit well with my book about the Fersen family. Do you have a link or I buy them from somewhere? Many thanks.

      Delete
  2. I love Paris in July too and I'm looking forward to discovering all the fun and book ideas and (someday again) travel ideas for one of my favorite cities! It looks like you have a good line-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it is like meeting old friends again. Friends with which you have something in common.

      Delete
  3. I know im late in, but your intentions for Paris in July sound exciting. I particularly look foward to your recommendations for viewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will see what I come up with.
      Enjoying this month in Paris.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster