Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Book Beginnings on Fridays and The Friday 56


The Content Reader

This week's book is one that I have had for quite some time on my shelves, The Book of Secrets by Tom Harper. The back cover summary tells a story that is exactly my cup of tea.


"In a snowbound village in the German mountains, a young woman discovers an extraordinary secret. Before she can reveal it, she disappears. All that survives is a picture of a mysterious medieval playing card that has perplexed scholars for centuries. 
Nick Ash does research for the FBI in New York. Six months ago his girlfriend Gilliam walked out and broke his heart. Now he's the only person who can save her - if it's not too late. Within hours of getting her message Nick finds himself on the run, delving deep into the past before it catches up with him. 
Hunted across Europe, Nick follows Gillian's trail into the heart of a 500-year-old mystery. But across the centuries, powerful forces are closing around him. There are men who have devoted their lives to keeping the secret, and they will stop at nothing to protect it." 

Book Beginnings on Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader


"Oberwinter, GermanyThick snow covered the village that morning.  cold silence gripped the streets. The cars parked opposite the hotel were shrouded with frost - except one, where a gloved hand had scraped a rough circle clear on the driver's window. Behind the black glass, the red eye of a cigarette blinked and glowed."



The Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice
"'There is your design. A penny to whoever produces the more perfect copy.' 
The penny did not interest me: I knew I would win it. Something about what Konrad did had chimed false, though I did not know what it was. I pondered it while I worked on the ring. First, I took a flimsy piece of parchment that had been soaked to become translucent and traced the image on the paper with a leaded stylus. I washed a thin layer of wax over the face of the ring, and rubbed the back of my parchment with the lead. Then I put the ring in a vice, overlaid the parchment and retraced the image, bearing down hard with the stylus. When I took the parchment away, a light grey stag had appeared on the wax-coated ring."

Comments

  1. Fascinating snippets! Now I definitely want to know more. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating story, more historical than one thinks from the beginning. Here is my review of the book: https://thecontentreader.blogspot.com/2020/05/the-book-of-secrets-by-tom-harper.html

      Delete
  2. Oh, that blurb is full of catnip! I hope the book lives up to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. It is a book difficult to put down. Here is my review: https://thecontentreader.blogspot.com/2020/05/the-book-of-secrets-by-tom-harper.html

      Delete
  3. Wow. This book sounds like it is gripping. Enjoy. My Friday quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is gripping, difficult to put down. Here is my reveiw: https://thecontentreader.blogspot.com/2020/05/the-book-of-secrets-by-tom-harper.html

      Delete
  4. Sounds ike beautiful writing! Happy weekend, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, quite different from books in this genre. Here is my review: https://thecontentreader.blogspot.com/2020/05/the-book-of-secrets-by-tom-harper.html

      Delete
  5. That does sound good -- wonderful writing and it sounds like my kind of book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth a read, difficult to put down. Here is my review: https://thecontentreader.blogspot.com/2020/05/the-book-of-secrets-by-tom-harper.html

      Delete
  6. It definitely caught my attention! Need to know more :)
    Konna @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a well and beautifully written book. Quite different from other books in the genre. Here is my review: https://thecontentreader.blogspot.com/2020/05/the-book-of-secrets-by-tom-harper.html

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster