Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Paris in July - My love for French history


When I was young I had a period where I was really obsessed with French history, especially the time of Louis XIV. I read a lot about his time, both non-fiction and fiction. I can't remember how it started, but maybe it was with the books about Angelique. Written by Serge and Anne Golon, which in the English and Swedish translations were merged to Sergeanne Golon. According to Wikipedia it was mainly Anne who wrote the books and her husband Serge who did the historical research.

The books were a big success at the time. I wanted to read them and went to the local library (in a village) to ask for them. I never forget what the librarian said: "We don't keep books like that!" They were obviously not comme-il-faut enough! So what did I do? I bought them. This must have been in the beginning of the 70s, and I still have them on my shelves! From time to time I re-read some of them.


I think I love them because of the historical settings. It is set during the time of Louis XIV, mostly in France, but also in Morocco and, the last books, in the New World. It was a turbulent time, and Angelique is moving in different worlds; from the rich aristocratic world to the poorest part of Paris. Many of the historical events in the books have inspired me to further reading. There is a lot of action as well as romance. A good mix.

It is always interesting to read about kings and queens, and Louis XIV was grander than life itself (not talking about his political deeds, just his way of promoting himself). L'état c'est moi! He built Versailles which was the model for later palaces in different countries. Still today, it might be considered the grandest of them all. He ruled as an absolute monarch for 72 years. Must be a record long reign? Even today, many books on historical fiction are set in this time.

Being obsessed with French history, led to the book Désirée by Annemarie Selinko, which I read about the same time, that is, in my youth. She was the daughter of a merchant in Corsica, and was engaged to Napoleon. That was before he went to Paris and met Josephine. She did not do bad when she married one of Napoleon's Marchals, Jean-Baptist Bernadotte. He became King of Sweden in 1818, and she, Queen Desideria. It seems she was not too happy being queen of this dark and cold country. She probably fared better though,  than if she had been married to Napoleon.

Lately, I read a great biography, Marie Antoinette - The Journey by Antonia Fraser. An Austrian princess married to the doomed Louis XVI. She was not entirely happy at the French court and was rather disliked. There is a little bit of a Swedish connection here. The Swedish Count Axel von Fersen is rumoured to have been her lover. He also staged a rescuing attempt when they were threatened with imprisonment. It failed and you all know what happened.


Axel von Fersen is also an interesting character; "a Swedish count, Marshal of the Realm of Sweden, a General of Horse in the Royal Swedish Army, one of the Lords of the Realm, aide-de-camp to Rochambeau in the American Revolutionary War, diplomat and statesman, and a friend of Queen Marie-Antoinette of France." (from Wikipedia). He met a terrible end in Sweden, but more about that when I have read a recent purchase; Huset von Fersens uppgång och fall (The Rise and Fall of the House of von Fersen, my transl.) by Göran Norrby.

Another book that is waiting to be read about this time, is Bussy-Rabutin's Histoires Amoureuses des Gaules. It is in French so it will take me a long time. Last year, for Paris in July, I wrote about his beautiful castle. Bussy-Rabutin was part of the court of Louis XIV, although he had some troubles.

Château de Bussy-Rabutin is an interesting and very well preserved castle. It was originally built in the 12th century by Renaudin de Bussy, but has been extended and renovated through the centuries. In the 17th century it belonged to Roger de Rabutin, Comte de Bussy (1618-1693). He was a member of the Academy during the reign of Louis XIV, a notorious womaniser, and on top of that, he was bold enough to put his impressions on the life at the Sun king's court into print. The book, Histoires Amoureuses des Gaules, led him directly to the Bastille and later on, in exile at his castle in Bourgogne. Although my French is not that good, I could not help but buy the book. A page a day?

A few French memories from my reading life.




Comments

  1. Every era of French history has its fascinating characters, and most of them have inspired quite a few writers of fiction, biography, and romance. The Sun King is no exception, as you clearly show. And Napoleon and his era are beyond popular with the imagination. So many stories, so little time!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true! There are so many stories out there. Just read an interview with Hilary Mantel, who said that 99.9% of people in the past are unknown. It is a marvel when one finds information on one, or more, of them and can put together a life.

      Delete
  2. Again, I've enjoyed your detailed accounts of your interests and reading. I used to have Fraser's MA book, but for some reasons, all these years I've never started reading it. BTW, have you seen the Sofia Coppola film Marie Antoinette? With Kirsten Dunst as MA. I thought it's well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a book worth reading. It is rather thick, but once you are in it, it is a non put downable. I started watching the film (mostly for Jamie Dornan sake!), but never finished it. I should continue watching it.

      Delete
  3. This is really interesting, Lizbeth. I don't know Angelique but the books sound both fun and fascinating. I don't know as much about French history as I do Brit but after reading this post I think I'm inspired to learn a little more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy if I can inspire you. You yourself inspire me with your creativity and beautiful photos from all over the States.
      It is always a pleasure, for those interested in history, to learn more about a special country. I think it is more interesting if you have a specific interest in the country of your choice. Since my husband is Austrian, I have now finally started reading the books I have about the Austrians, the Habsburgs and Sissi of course. Although, I must admit, that I was interested in the Habsburg history even before I met Martin.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this very interesting post. Lots of good reading ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Most of the non fiction I read are about history.

      Delete
  5. Another great way to share Paris in July - we all have interesting connections to France dont we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why this is such an interesting challenge. You get to know so many different things, from different people. It is very inspiring I think.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster