Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Paris in July 2019 - Claude Cahun exhibition


Paris in July is hosted by Thyme for Tea. One of my favourite memes, to talk and read about everything Parisian and/or French.

I had business in Halmstad (south west coast of Sweden) the other day. I picked up a beautiful painting that I bought. I will show it later. There were a surrealist group of painter in the beginning of the 20th century, living and working in Halmstad. They are called "The Halmstad Group". Starting out in the ordinary way, they very soon entered into surrealism. After having lived in Belgium, there is no getting away from surrealism. Although, I was not such a fan from the beginning, it grew on me, and today, I am rather fond of it. At the Mjellby Art Gallery there is a permanent exhibition with this group. But, what does it have to do with Paris in July you ask? Nothing really. BUT! At the same gallery there is an photo exhibition of a surrealist photographer, Claude Cahun. Never heard about her, or him, earlier, but it was a very interesting acquaintance.


Claude Cahun (1894-1954), or Lucy Renée Mathilde Schwob as she was named, was born in Nantes, into a cultural family. In 1909 she met her lifelong partner Marcel Moore (a pseudonym for Suzanne Malherbe). They formed a duo in the artistic scene of Paris in the 1920s. They interacted with artists, writers and actors, and became a part of the Surrealist set. In the late 1930s they moved to Jersey where they established a resistent movement in opposition to the Nazi occupation. They were captured and sentenced to death. The peace saved them.

Claude Cahun worked closely with Marcel Moore and they staged their photographs. She usually just used one camera, but did not develop the photos herself. Many of their motives were surrealistic, experimenting with identity, gender and different personae. As often is the case, she was never recognised during her life time. It is only in the 1980s that her photos were once again discovered.

The exhibition is very interesting. She is often herself the model, although in different disguises. It is sometimes difficult to see whether it is a man or a woman in the pictures. She was a pioneer in her way of staging her photos. Very talented, she also wrote poetry and books.

You could not be in Paris in the 1920s without encounter Surrealism. This is the time of André Breton's first Surrealist manifesto, and a group of artists came together to adopt the new 'ism'.

"Following the meeting with Breton, Cahun and Moore were drawn closer to the Surrealist group. Often extravagantly dressed in pink and gold, they would arrive at the meetings as a couple, which was not appreciated by any of the Surrealists despite the message Surrealism wished to convey about transcending norms. However, they did develop friendships with many of the Surrealists, including Max Ernst, Benjamin Péret, Yves Tanguy and René Char. Cahun and Moore thus came to be part of a successful, intellectual group in Paris that comprised artists, writers, authors and actors. "
                                                                                             From exhibition brochure

Another interesting couple in Paris in the 1920s. It seems to have been a wonderful time to be there if you were an artist of any kind. I found a book that hopefully will give me a picture of the life there at the time. "Ett magiskt rum - Salonger i 1920-talets Paris (A Magical Room - Salons in Paris in the 1920s) by Ingrid Svensson. Four women are in the forefront of this book, says the author; Gertrude Stein, Natalie Clifford Barney, Adrienne Monnier and Sylvia Beach. I have only heard of the first and last, but am sure it will be an interesting read.


Do you have any views on surrealism? What do you think?

Comments

  1. That is extremely interesting. The Surrealist movement in Paris was totally fascinating, and the knowledge of these two additional artists is welcome. Yes, I have heard of all 4 of the key women in your list, as well as the men who get all the attention! Thanks for all this important history.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I found the exhibition and the story of Claude and Marcel very interesting. The photos are old and black-and-white, which makes it even more thrilling. It is something with black-and-white photos! Since she herself was the model, posing as a man sometimes and as a woman sometimes, you feel her different disguises, and maybe, get a little bit of idea who she was.
      Surrealism is indeed fascinating.

      Delete
  2. Yes the time between the 2 wars in Paris was a fascinating one. Claude Cahun had been forgotten by the 1980s by is experiencing a resurgence of success today. It must have been a fun exhibition to see. I have read books on all the four women you mention. The book I really enjoyed was “Charmed Circle: Gertrude Stein and Company” by James R. Mellow. I found it as a second-hand book. It tells the story of Gertrude from the start and follows her and Alice B. Toklas through the 2nd war. I found it quite interesting as it talked about all the people frequenting Paris at the time. Because of reading this book I made a special trip to New York in 2012 where the Museum of Art had assembled all the artwork, paintings Gertrude had collected. It was a wonderful show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very interesting exhibition. Especially, since you don't know what to expect and it turns out to be a wonderful new acquaintance. Another aspect of the Paris/French life.
      The book you mentions sounds interesting. How wonderful to be able to see the exhibition of her assembled artwork. So many people seem to have 'passed by' Paris at the time. I have just started the book I bought, and the author gives us a little bit of information on France and Paris at the time. It was after the war and people felt freer. Especially as expats in Paris!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this. I am obsessed with art at the moment, taking some online courses. I also tried to read The Autobiography of Alice B Toklas by Stern and didn't like the writing, so I will be looking for A Magical Room:.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art is nice. I can be very hooked on certain painters and want to see everything they have done.
      I was intending to read the Autobiography at some points. Hmm, does not sound good with the writing.
      A Magical Room is a book I bought at a Swedish Art Center, and I think it only exists in Swedish. Unfortunately, I would say, because it is a very interesting book, very well written and giving a good idea of the times and atmosphere in Paris. I will write a few posts from the book for Paris in July. Coming up soon!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this well-researched and informative post. Surrealism in Paris in the early 20th C. is a topic I'd like to know more. I'm particularly fond of that era. The film I just reviewed for Paris in July has a setting in 1912, and it's in the Impressionist style. Would love to have your view on that too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try to find this film somewhere. The picture you posted is wonderful. Love the impressionists. It is such a positive and soft way of painting. It makes you happy.

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of Cahun before and this is fascinating to me. That is extremely interesting. I don't know much about the Surrealist movement in Paris but it's good to learn about these two artists. The Magical Room should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither. It was such a positive surprise the exhibition. Wonderful photos and such a different kind of life. I did not like surrealism from the beginning, but is liking it more and more.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster