Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56



It is Friday and time for some interesting book beginnings and to see what we can find on page 56. It is Rose City Reader and Freda's Voice who are hosting these challenges. This week I have just started to read the book for the Classic spin #19. It is, from a favourite author, Henry James and his Washington Square. He is famous for his long sentences, and his beginning here does not disappoint. Isn't it just wonderful how much information he manages to put into the first sentence.



Book beginnings on Friday hosted by Rose City Reader
"During a portion of the first half of the present century, and more particularly during the latter part of it, there flourished and practised in the city of New York a physician who enjoyed perhaps an exceptional share of the consideration which, in the United States, has always been bestowed upon distinguished members of the medical profession." 
The Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice
""My allusions are as kind as yours, Elizabeth," said the Doctor frankly. "How many suitors has Catherine had, with all her expectations -- how much attention has she ever received? Catherine is not unmarriageable, but she is absolutely unattractive.""

Comments

  1. From the 56, it sounds like the doctor could benefit from Gillion's book about kindness. Sounds intriguing. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What interesting language! This week I am featuring Tsumiko and the Enslaved Fox by Forthright - an intriguing new fantasy. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed this book around and I'm curious. That is one meaty beginning! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww...how sad to be absolutely unattractive. That was certainly unkind. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Plain-looking, but Good-hearted", is how the young lady is described in the Goodreads premise, which makes the doctor even more callous and cruel in my opinion.

    This sounds like a good classic in the study of humankind and I hope that you enjoy reading it.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    Yvonne
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with that quote wholeheartedly. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes enjoy the classics and this writing style. Not easy to pull off:)

    My Friday 56 from Holly In Hiding

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read Henry James. Maybe one day. Susan is wrapping up the month with a nonfiction book at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler