Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

The Classic Club Spin #18 - Richard III by William Shakespeare



Believe it or not, but I managed to finalise this month´s spin. My number 9 was Richard III by William Shakespeare. I am not good at reading Shakespeare, but this seemed easier to approach. The reason being that I have recently read quite a lot about this time, in connection with the finding of his bones in Leicester.  The drama is not a very long, I read it as an e-book and it went rather smoothly.

The beginning was a little bit confusing, including a lot a characters I do not remember. Ideally, one should look them up and check up the history. 
However, I am travelling and there was no time.


(Many Books Net
(Many Books Net)

Time has shown us a development in the interpretation of historical events, and this is also the case here. Partly, the drama felt a little bit out of date, but it is a drama after all.  It was written during Tudor times (during the reign of Elizabeth I) and the first Tudor, Henry VII, beat his enemy Richard III at the battle of Bosworth.  But a classic is a classic, and has to be approached from the time it was written. I just read through without too much thought of the beauty of the text or the excellence of Shakespeare´s language. It will be for another time. I finally got to the famous lines, ”A horse, a horse, a kingdom for a horse”. 

I have written a few reviews on Richard III and his time, as well as of a visit to Leicester to visit the tomb of Richard III. For those interested you find them here.

Richard III and the Princes in the Tower by A.J. Pollard


The Search for Richard III - The King´s Grave by Philippa Langley and Michael Jones

How did you do with your classic challenge?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster