Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Audio books

I have finished two audio books recently. It always takes a little bit of time to listen through. Lately, I have been driving long hours, and it makes for a good opportunity to listen to a book. I have finished Mythos by Stephen Fry (also narrated by him) and Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (narrated by Julia Whelan and Kirby Heyborne).

Add caption
Mythos is Fry's story of the Greek gods. There are numerous books about the Greek gods, but I think none of them come close to this personal account. He manages to make them all alive and kicking, behaving like "normal" people with all the good and bad faults. It is a hilarious trip he takes us on, as well as juicy details of the behaviour of the gods. Fry narrates himself and that adds to the story and humour with which it has been written. A must for those interested in the stories of the Greek gods and their creation of our world, but maybe even more for those with a less pronounced interest. The book is a good way to venture into this fascinating world of the ancient gods and learn more. Interesting is also all the words and themes we use today, but did not really know came from the ancient gods. I also found it perfect to listen too. The chapters are short, and although it is a continuous story, it is easy to break up the listening.



Gone Girl is a novel which comes with a lot of baggage, that is, so many positive reviews, that one is afraid to read it. However, I wanted to watch the movie, but thought it would be better to read the book first. Although the listening spanned several months, I managed to follow the intricate story line. From the beginning I did not like the narrators, but they grew on me and as I listened along I began to admire the way they narrated. It was like actors playing the roles and both of them did it very well. It added a lot to the story.

The story as such? I will not go into any spoilers here, so will not relate it in details. Shortly, Amy is missing one day, and her husband Nick is accused of having killed her. But as the days go and no body is found, the mystery tightens. We get the narration from both persons and both perspectives. It is an interesting and quite complicated twist in the story. You really get into the characters and think you know them, even if I don't really like any of them. I did like the book, but felt it was far to long. Maybe it was necessary to be able to explain the plot and keep it until the very end. I found the end very good, although it gave me a bad feeling.

I have now started on another audio book, The Phantom Tree by Nicola Cornick. It also comes with good reviews and having only listened to a few chapters, I am totally into this book.

Comments

  1. My friend just saw Stephen Fry to a three-night one-man show of the Mythos book in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada. She said he was fabulous so I'm really delighted to know this is on audio book as I won't be seeing the show.

    I'm the only person in the world who hasn't read Gone Girl or seen the movie. maybe this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that must have been fabulous! I think he is great.
    Gone girl is a nice summer read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster