Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

The Classics Club celebrating 10 years

The Classics Club is celebrating 10 years, head over there for more information.  The running of the club was taken over some time ago by Brona, Deb, Kay and Margaret. They have been enthusiastic and put down a lot of efforts to keep up and renew the blog. I find the posts very interesting and am enjoying the spin and other events. I have not been very good at reading my spin book, but there is always time for improvements. 

Books are a good way to bring us through hard times. During the difficult pandemic years it was a treat to disappear into another world in the books. Hopefully, more people found the pleasure in reading during the isolation periods. To celebrate the 10 years, the board has sent us 10 questions to answer, and I will do my best. 

The Questions

  • When did you join the Classics Club? I am not really sure. The only trace I could find was from 2017, so maybe it was the year that I joined. 
  • What is the best classic book you've read for the club so far? Why? Difficult to say, I think I have to divide myself between two books. Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann and The Go-Between by J.P. Hartley. They have both stayed with me long after having read them. It might be I did not exactly read them in a spin, but they were on my list. 
  • What is the first classic you ever read? Could be 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Brontë, still one of my favourite books. 
  • Which classic book inspired you the most? Wuthering Heights might be the book, just because it made such an impact when I read it. Otherwise, I might have to go for Buddenbrooks here as well.
  • What is the most challenging one you've ever read, or tried to read? This is a clear one, Moby Dick. Mostly because it was so long, and I am not so interested in the details of whale hunting. Although must admit the language was wonderful. 
  • Favourite movie adaptation of a classic? Least favourite? Favourite must be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, that is, the TV-series with Colin Firth. Maybe the latest version of Persuasion on Netflix. 
  • Which classic character most reminds you of yourself? Hmm, does any?
  • Has there been a classic title you expected to dislike and ended up loving? Respecting? Appreciating? Probably Orlando by Virginia Wolf. Much easier to read than I anticipated and more interesting. 
  • Classic/s you are DEFINITELY GOING TO MAKE HAPPEN next year? I just heard a podcast about Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse. Will probably read this soon. 
  • Favourite memory with a classic and/or your favourite memory with The Classics Club? I was recommended to read The Go-Between by J.P. Hartley by a friend who said it was one of the best books she had read. I was doubtful about it, but what a book. Turned out to be also one of my favourite books. 
Should I try to make a promise to read more from my spins? It probably will not help. I thoroughly enjoy the Classics Club, because it reminds me of how wonderful a classic tale can be, and why they have become classics. Thank you to the board for inspiring us to read the old classics, for letting us know more about authors, their work and lives. It is a club that inspire you to read more. 

Comments

  1. I just saw the prompt on the Classics Club page. Must work on it.
    I really enjoyed reading your answers, especially since you placed Buddenbrooks among your favourites, also one of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear. Yes, Buddenbrooks is in a league of its own. It is quite a nice exercise so looking forward to yours.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, it might take a while. With this weather, I don't spend much time on the PC.

      Delete
    3. It took me a while but I finally did it and here are my answers to the questionnaire.

      Delete
  2. I wasn't sure I wanted to read any of Thomas Mann's books after reading The Magician by Toibin. But Toibin's book and Mann's story has been growing on me ever since, and thanks to your post, I will bump my copy of Buddenbrooks from CC list 3 onto 2!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to hear Brona, I am sure you will like it. I was hooked by his writing from page one. It is a family saga, to a certain extend based on his own family background, but not so much, if I remember correctly, on his later life.

      Delete
    2. I have read one book by Colm Tóibín and didn't like it at all but "Buddenbrooks" is one of my favourite books ever, so I wouldn't be surprised if you liked it after all.

      Delete
    3. I think you would enjoy The Master and The Magician, his two historical fictions on the lives of Henry James and Thomas Mann. Quite different from his other books.

      Delete
  3. I have noted your recommendations of Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann and The Go-Between by J.P. Hartley on my list of books that I hope to read before I exit this life. I think I should also add Steppenwolf to my list since I already have a couple of Hesse novels on the list. Thank you, Lisbeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will like them, they are something extra ordinary. I am looking forward to Hesse, and have also added your recommendations to my list.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing! I didn't know The Go-Between.
    I haven't read this book by Mann, but you are indirectly inspiring me to reread The Magic Mountain and Death in Venice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read some of his short stories as well. The Magic Mountain is on my list as well. The Go-Between is a wonderful book, one of my absolute favourites. You just have to read it. If you do, let me know what you think.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler