Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Books I bring with me on my travels through June and July and a visit to Sigrid Undset's house

We are once again on the road with our camper van. The destination is Norway, the middle and southern part. We have reached Lillehammer for our first stay. It is still a little bit chilly and rainy. The rain stopped midday and we walked up to the city. Lillehammer is situated on a hillside so there is a lot of going up and down. The 1994 winter olympics took place here. It is a lovely place with a lot of old buildings giving the town a wonderful atmosphere. 

Sigrid Undset

I discovered that Sigrid Undset lived here and we visited her house, or houses, today. They are really old houses built of thick timber stocks as was done in the old days. A guide took us around the houses and told us about her life and deeds. She received the Nobel Literature Prize in 1928 for her magnificent family saga Kristin Lavransdotter. There are three books; The Wreath, The Wife and The Cross. A wonderful story of a strong woman in the 14th century. 

Sigrid Undset's houses in Lillehammer, Norway

Sigrid Undset's study
On this telephone Sigrid Undset
received the call from Sweden
that she had received the
Nobel Literature Prize

Books on the road

I tried to collect a few books to bring with me, not totally abandon my challenges, as well as a few others. Mostly books I can leave behind along the road. 

My challenges for June

Nonfiction - Du begriper ju ingenting (You Just Don't Understand) by Deborah Tannen

Fiction - Dr Copernicus by John Banville

Translated (except English/Swedish) - The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa (Portuguese)  

Classic - The Trial by Franz Kafka


My challenges for July

Nonfiction - Civilization, The West and The Rest by Niall Fergusson

Fiction - Kingdom of Shadows by Barbara Erskine

Translated (except English/Swedish) - Przewalskis horse by Maja Lunde (Norwegian). The third book in her excellent climate series.

Classic - Lissabons belägring (The History of the Siege of Lisbon) av José Saramago (I try again to finish this book, which I have read for several months).

Themes:

June - The Last Kingdom

I am totally addicted to the TV-series The Last Kingdom.  The story takes place during the 9th century when Danish vikings attacked Anglo Saxon England. I have already seen the 4 seasons available on Netflix. There is a 5th season which is not shown in Sweden, at least not so far. Too bad indeed. I did want to read some of the books anyway to see how they compare to the series. The first four seasons cover books 1-8 (of 13), so I will start with book number 9, Warriors of the Storm. If it is good, I will continue with The Flame Bearer, War of the Wolf, Sword of Kings and War Lord. 

Has anyone of you read any of the books? Watched the series? What do you think?

July - Paris in July

I hope Paris in July will come back. In case this will happen, I have chosen a couple of books from my shelves. 

Återträffen (La jeune fille et la nuit) by Guillaume Musso

Hemingway, The Paris Years by Michael Reynolds

And finally I can read The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley. I loved her books The Guest List and The Hunting Party but wanted to wait with this one for the July challenge. 

Other books

Nonfiction

Imperiernas tid 1815-1919 by Henk Wesseling

Women Travellers edited by Mary Morris with Larry O'Connor

Hur mycket pengar behöver man egentligen by Eric Skopal

That's Not What I Meant by Deborah Tannen

Fiction

The Witch Elm by Tana French

Snablar by Arto Paasilinna

Henrik Ståls sägner by Johan Ludvig Runeberg

Carambole by Håkan Nesser

Flugan och evigheten by Håkan Nesser

Halvmördaren by Håkan Nesser

Stormvakt by Kristina Ohlsson

Upplösning (Dissolution) by C.J. Sansom

--------

I don't really think I will have time to read them all, but at least I will not run out of books. I have a few e-books as well. 



Comments

  1. Wow, Norway! I'm sure it's such a beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a marvellous country and so beautiful. Now on the middle west coast on an island called Leka. The nature here is out of the extraordinary. When the continents collided millions of years ago, this part broke loose from the continent that became America. Quite interesting geological features here.

      Delete
  2. Sounds brilliant. Great choices.
    I have read Kristin Lavrandsdottir and loved it, I will have to visit Lillehammer one day.
    Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mixture. One has to choose for different moods. Kristin Lavransdotter was really a very good read. Surprisingly so after so many years. Her house, or houses were very nice, and I especially liked her writing den.

      Delete
    2. As you know, we are both lovers of classic literature, so I'm not surprised I loved it as much as I did. And I love visiting old houses, especially if I know someone who lived in it or - like in museum villages - people like my ancestors who lived in similar ones.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely trip you have planned!

    I hope we will have Paris in July again this year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to have plans, so not to run out of books!
    I loved a lot Kristin Lavransdotter, this would be a neat place to visit!
    I have indeed read 8 books (out of 13) in the Last Kingdom series, also called The Saxon series or The Saxon Tales, by Bernard Cornwell. He is an amazing author of historical fiction, and knows so well his stuff. I only stopped because for some reason I was no longer interested in the period. But this is really excellent.
    I don't have TV, so I have not seen any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I was thinking. Better to bring a few extra. I am so happy you have read and liked the Saxon series. Makes me even more eager to read them. I have to check up his other books.

      Delete
  5. I don't know Sigrid Undset but I love her home! You have an ambitious summer reading line-up. I'll have to think about Paris in July -- I don't have any good book choices in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely home, in all its simplicity. I hope to come up with a few more French authors this year.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the tantalising glimpse into Sigrid Undset's home - an unexpected treat on a cold, miserable wintry night in Sydney! Have a fabulous trip :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is rather cold her as well, but not wintry. Spring is a little bit later her in the middle of Norway. But, the last days have been milder and sunny, so there is hope.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler