Time for Classic Spin #15 with the Classic Club. What is the spin? Here is what they say over at the Club.
"It's easy. At your blog, before next Friday, March 10th, create a post to list your choice of any twenty books that remain "to be read" on your Classics Club list.
This is your Spin List. You have to read one of these twenty books in March & April. (Details follow.) Try to challenge yourself. For example, you could list five Classics Club books you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favourite author, re-reads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
On Friday, we'll post a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List, by May 1, 2017. We'll check in here in May to see who made it the whole way and finished their spin book!
Here is my spin list, but it is also available under Challenges 2017.
1. Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
2. The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
3. Goodby to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood
4. Karin Lavransdotter by Sigrid Undset
5. Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann
6. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
7. Women in Love by D.H. Lawrence
8. A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
9. Richard III by William Shakespeare
10. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
11. The Overcoat and Other Stories by Nikolaj Gogol
12. Sweet Bird of Youth by Tennessee Williams
13. The Taming of a Screw by William Shakespeare
14. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
15. Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
16. Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
17. Tom Jones by Henry Fielding
18. The Divine Comedy by Dante
19. The Go-Between by J.P. Hartley
20. Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder
Are there some I am dreading? Yes! For example; The Mill on the Floss and possibly The Divine Comedy. The plays; yes, I find it difficult to read plays. Much nicer to see the actual play in the theatre. Otherwise most of them are classics that I look forward reading.